Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding Apps for Android

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 17th May 2010, 10:12   #1
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

Birding Apps for Android

Anyone know of any available??

Cheers,

John
Old Saturday 29th May 2010, 21:47   #2
fabrizio.giudici

I've recently released blueBill Mobile for Android:

http://bluebill.tidalwave.it/mobile/

It initially focuses on registering observations, checklists suitable for the Western Palearctic Ecozone. Support for media is being added. It's free and open source, please provide feedback about bugs and how you'd like to see it improved.

Thanks.
Old Tuesday 1st June 2010, 16:46   #3
soupdragon10

Thumbs up

It looks great Fabrizio.

I'm assuming we can search for it on the Android Marketplace?
Old Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 10:01   #4
JTweedie

That looks really good, I've just got myself an Android phone in preference to an iPhone and it's good to see what looks like a high quality app available for Android.

In the US, Android phones are outselling iPhones, so hopefully we'll see more and more quality apps being developed for it.
Old Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 10:44   #5
hollis_f

Didn't know that Android was so popular in the US (although still being outsold 2:1 in the rest of the world). Can only be good news for both Android and iPhone - nothing like a healthy bit of competition to drive innovation and customer satisfaction.

Photography Gear - Website

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 6th June 2010, 22:04   #6
JTweedie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrizio.giudici View Post
I've recently released blueBill Mobile for Android:

http://bluebill.tidalwave.it/mobile/

It initially focuses on registering observations, checklists suitable for the Western Palearctic Ecozone. Support for media is being added. It's free and open source, please provide feedback about bugs and how you'd like to see it improved.

Thanks.
Hey, I downloaded your app, I have one suggestion that I think would make it much more user-friendly. I was searching for Eider the other day and it wouldn't find it using "Eider". I had to type in "Common..." before it found it - just thought it might have been really helpful for the search to pull content back from any part of what you're looking for rather than just from the start of the name.
Old Sunday 6th June 2010, 22:40   #7
petectid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis_f View Post
Didn't know that Android was so popular in the US (although still being outsold 2:1 in the rest of the world). Can only be good news for both Android and iPhone - nothing like a healthy bit of competition to drive innovation and customer satisfaction.
Its only a blip in iPhone sales, Apple is expected to make another release of the iPhone in the next month or two featuring an updated operating system version 4. Its unlikely even a large company like Google will be able to match the popularity of this device?
Old Monday 7th June 2010, 08:42   #8
JTweedie

Never say never when it comes to technology I say. After all, Nokia had the original stranglehold on the mobile phone market, Sony came from nowhere to conquer the video game market, only for a little company called Microsoft to come along and challenge that, and then Nintendo sweeps all before it with technology that's simple but dated.
Old Tuesday 8th June 2010, 09:32   #9
petectid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTweedie View Post
Never say never when it comes to technology I say. After all, Nokia had the original stranglehold on the mobile phone market, Sony came from nowhere to conquer the video game market, only for a little company called Microsoft to come along and challenge that, and then Nintendo sweeps all before it with technology that's simple but dated.
Didn't say never just thought it unlikely.
Old Tuesday 8th June 2010, 15:53   #10
fabrizio.giudici

Quote:
Hey, I downloaded your app, I have one suggestion that I think would make it much more user-friendly. I was searching for Eider the other day and it wouldn't find it using "Eider". I had to type in "Common..." before it found it - just thought it might have been really helpful for the search to pull content back from any part of what you're looking for rather than just from the start of the name.
Thanks for suggestions, I wish I receive more of them. Have you looked at the preferences? There are four ways to choose how to filter names, and they are shortly explained here:

http://bluebill.tidalwave.it/mobile/getting-started/

Actually, if you pick "Exact substring", "eider" should match the selection. The default name filter, instead, picks the initial. Maybe I could add a quick self-explaining pop up in the application itself.

For what concerns Android, there are many business analysis that forecast a surpass of Android over iPhone in the next few years; in any case, high chances are that they will be the two most important player on the market. Unfortunately Android is still less common in Europe (glad to see that there has been at least an italian here :-) but I think it will catch up fast the USA trends.

Thanks for trying it.

*** FIXED: Ok, now I looked better the flag colors - and the related info - and understood that soupdragon10 is irish. Sorry for the mistake - I'm still in search of an italian user...

Last edited by fabrizio.giudici : Tuesday 8th June 2010 at 15:55.
Old Wednesday 9th June 2010, 12:00   #11
JTweedie

Quote:
Actually, if you pick "Exact substring", "eider" should match the selection. The default name filter, instead, picks the initial. Maybe I could add a quick self-explaining pop up in the application itself.
Thanks for this I had a lot of glare on my screen so wasn't able to navigate through all the options at the time, but found it now.
Old Wednesday 9th June 2010, 12:39   #12
fabrizio.giudici

Quote:
Thanks for this I had a lot of glare on my screen ...
BTW... do you think that white-on-black is good for glare or black-on-white would be better? I think I can implement a user preference to pick it.
Old Wednesday 9th June 2010, 15:45   #13
lmans66

Rather than just for recording...is there an AP like Ipod has for sounds and such or one in the works? jim

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 9th June 2010, 16:01   #14
JTweedie

Quote:
BTW... do you think that white-on-black is good for glare or black-on-white would be better? I think I can implement a user preference to pick it.
I don't think think I've noticed too much difference to be honest, when the sun is really strong then it can be difficult to see what's on the screen no matter what colour it is.
Old Wednesday 9th June 2010, 23:49   #15
fabrizio.giudici

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmans66 View Post
Rather than just for recording...is there an AP like Ipod has for sounds and such or one in the works? jim
I'm already developing a next version with media support (photo and sounds). Should be ready by mid-July, more or less.
Old Thursday 10th June 2010, 07:52   #16
JohnnyH
Aldershot till I die!

That sounds great Fabrizio, keep us posted on progress please.

Thanks,

John.
Old Thursday 10th June 2010, 10:16   #17
soupdragon10

Finally back home and just grabbed the app Fabrizio, looks great!
I'm off out to try it out. Great work
Old Friday 11th June 2010, 21:12   #18
daveofficer

great app, can't wait to try it with media to help id birds. feels really intuitive to use and should help me keep better records of what i see when wandering.
Old Friday 11th June 2010, 22:43   #19
Saphire
Christine

Will this work on the android e-pad
Old Saturday 12th June 2010, 12:51   #20
fabrizio.giudici

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Will this work on the android e-pad

Theoretically all Android devices should be compatible (there are o.s. version issues, but I'm targetting 1.5, and earlier than it there is less than 1% of devices). Of course, a *Pad could be very different than a phone because of the larger screen, and blueBill Mobile could be less user friendly... or more, who knows?

I plan to buy an Android *Pad within the summer, as soon as some new models come out and I realize what they offer. Until them, if somebody tries blueBill Mobile with a *Pad, please let me know. Eventually the user interface can be adapted.
Old Saturday 12th June 2010, 15:57   #21
fabrizio.giudici

PS If you agree, please find the time to cast a vote (1-5 stars) by using the Market application of your smartphone. This will help blueBill Mobile in spreading more. Thanks.
Old Monday 14th June 2010, 15:00   #22
scubapauly

I'm very interested if this becomes something like the Collins eGuide, it's because of that I haven't switched over to Android yet.
Old Wednesday 16th June 2010, 05:38   #23
Fowl Mouth
Just a guy with dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmans66 View Post
Yup, ironically just available a couple days now, iBird is now good for the Android. I see it in the marketplace and plan on trying it out. Reviews on FB seem promising. No Pro version for Android yet.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 16th June 2010, 06:54   #24
Fowl Mouth
Just a guy with dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl Mouth View Post
Yup, ironically just available a couple days now, iBird is now good for the Android. I see it in the marketplace and plan on trying it out. Reviews on FB seem promising. No Pro version for Android yet.
I just bought iBird (android) and have been playing with it for a half hour. Amazing. Two things to note: it's apparently North American species only, and it requires a wi-fi link to complete the bandwidth heavy download. It has a good search function, decent quality sounds, and something like 230 species. Each species has links galore for further info (wiki, flikr, etc...). More birds would be better, but I don't know of a similar program for the droid, so this should keep me happy for a while.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 16th June 2010, 12:38   #25
fabrizio.giudici

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubapauly View Post
I'm very interested if this becomes something like the Collins eGuide, it's because of that I haven't switched over to Android yet.
Good question and I'm preparing a post with some insight of the point, which has some subtle aspects.

I can anticipate now that blueBill will have sounds and images initially for the Western Palearctic ecozone - while it can provides information for the whole world, there's some time needed to prepare and verify the media, and of course I'll start from the area where I live.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: