Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tornado and Spring storms Time to Bird?

Old Friday 22nd April 2005, 04:13   #1
buckskin hawk
Oklahoma Birder

Tornado and Spring storms Time to Bird?

Just had another tonado alert. It is nearly a weekly occurance during this time of year here. I was out at the barn riding and you could feel the steam rising. The air just feels different before a storm. I was watching the clouds with one eye and the birds with another. (Nice to have a good horse that watches were you are going.) I noticed that the birds were quieter than normal and that the ones I saw were close to the ground--not even a Mockingbird at the top of any of the trees. The storm formed above us and hit in the county to the east. It didn't even rain here.

The story that I have heard is that a storm will bring the birds out of the trees on to the ground and make it easier to see them. Okay so is the morning after a good day? Is this a old wive's (husband's) story or is it true?

Birds seen this evening didn't include any sparrows which is highly unusual- but did include several killdeer, Canadian geese, cardinals mockingbird and flycatchers. Also absent were the meadowlarks, bluebirds and all types of blackbirds.
Old Friday 22nd April 2005, 05:46   #2
shelley810

When storms approach the pressure drops. The birds sense pressure better than we do....obviously, they have to deal with it all the time. It's not just an old wives tale that birds fly low and keep low during a low pressure surge (like the fast oncoming tornados or a strong front).
The one old wives tale I don't get is that alot of birds on a wire means it's going to rain.....dang if I don't notice that, but I don't get why that happens...they are out in the open!
shelley
Old Friday 22nd April 2005, 12:11   #3
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

I do know that before our last hurricane, the birds were fighting feverishly at the feeders and this was an observation made by many on the Carolinabirds Listserv

I can almost always hope for some good birding when a front comes at us from the SW as well.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: