• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reflex Sight (1 Viewer)

rferrieri

On one of the other threads showing ultra high-end scope setups by PM01, I couldn't help but notice that he had a reflex gun sight mounted on one of his scopes. I've had difficulty targeting birds in my scope, especially at longer distances, and thought this would be a great add-on for quick targeting. I tested an astronomy red dot sight that I had in the drawer, and while it helped me in targeting, the dot wasn't bright enough for daytime use. I have since ordered a 4 Recticle Red Dot Reflex gun sight from Ultimate Arms Gear for $29.95 and a Weaver rail mount that will enable me to affix the sight to the scopes tube rings. Since it is a gun sight I expect it to be considerably brighter. Has anyone else found this a useful add-on to the scope setup?
rich

I just stuck a 10mm diameter tube, about 30mm long, on the end of the scope with a Velcro band. I just sight over the flash shoe, through the tube. Works very well and cost nothing!

On one of the other threads showing ultra high-end scope setups by PM01, I couldn't help but notice that he had a reflex gun sight mounted on one of his scopes. I've had difficulty targeting birds in my scope, especially at longer distances, and thought this would be a great add-on for quick targeting. I tested an astronomy red dot sight that I had in the drawer, and while it helped me in targeting, the dot wasn't bright enough for daytime use. I have since ordered a 4 Recticle Red Dot Reflex gun sight from Ultimate Arms Gear for $29.95 and a Weaver rail mount that will enable me to affix the sight to the scopes tube rings. Since it is a gun sight I expect it to be considerably brighter. Has anyone else found this a useful add-on to the scope setup?
rich

I use one of those on my camera for BIF with the 100-300mm lens and it works quite well. I haven't tried it with the scope.
http://gadget.brando.com/wildlife-photography-with-tactical-four-reticle-sight_p1341c73d3.html

I also tried a red dot sight with the scope a while back and found it useless.

I've found that some reflex sites aren't bright enough for daytime usage. A quick simple test is to point the site at a bright light. If you happen to have a Surefire or another 200+ lumen light and can see the dot or reticle while pointing it at the light, close range, then you can use it for daytime.

Or better yet, if there are windows and it's bright outside, test it that way. You won't see spots before your eyes...!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back