• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer Birding in Suffolk (1 Viewer)

dmott01

My partner and myself will be a week in Suffolk in either Spring or Summer.One bird I would dearly love to see would be a Barn Owl.Could anyone reccomend an area,perhaps north of the county?
PM me if you do not want to publicly disclose info.Thanks.
Kind regards,David Mott .

Early morning I had them in and around RSPBLakenheath in june the fields just outside can be good for them with a bit of luck

If you go to Minsmere, which you really should, then the bridge by the Eels foot Inn in Leiston is usually very reliable (also good for Water Vole).

Nick

Hi David - As a local lad I would suggest Boyton Marshes, Shingle Street, or taking a boat over to Orfordness are all good places but they may not be far enough north for you. They are quite widespread in Suffolk. Minsmere is well worth a visit as Nick says but they are not quite as reliable there based on my own experiences. Felixstowe Ferry, Falkenham or Gedgrave Marshes would be alternatives but these are all southern sites really. You haven't said where you be staying. Might be worth you asking for help on the Suffolk sub forum, some of the Lowestoft based birders may have better alternatives for the north-east part of the coast or have better information than me on places like Walberswick or around Southwold, Benacre etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back