• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift (8.5x44) porro vs roof. Any opinions? (1 Viewer)

Harryscat

Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum and looking to narrow down the list of possible binoculars to replace my old (and now sadly departed) porro prism with. I'm more interested in optical performance/ergonomics than brand name, and have now realised (after lots of forum reading) that excellent performance can be had without the huge extra cost of a 'known' brand name. These two binoculars seem to have excellent reviews from the members on site so they seem like a good place to start!

I'm looking for in order of preference
1. Optical performance (is there a big difference between the two? I enjoy looking for owls in our nearby woods and so dusk performance is important)
2. Okay to use with glasses (with slim lenses!)
3. Lowish bulk (so I don't think too long and hard about taking them out, having said that my last pair weighed a ton (opticron 10x44) and it wasn't too much of a problem!) and if they feel okay to hold I won't mind the weight...

I don't have a shop nearby that sells the porro version so any advice re glasses and the newer models (pull and twist eye cups, I think) would be great. All the adverts say 'excellent' eye relief but the forum appears to differ in its opinions on this point....;)I'd be really interested to hear of anyone WITH glasses who has these and what they think.
Any comments, positive and negative, welcomed!
Cheers, and thanks for the help.
Rob

The only thing I would say is, the porro version, although bulker than the roof design, gives a better feeling of 3D.

I'm all for porro's though in a different post I'm struggling with the idea of roof's for car bino's. Supposedly roofs are more rugged or durable.

I find that porro's can be held to the eyes with a more comfortable stance. I like having something laying broad across my chest vs. long (I'm sort of short waisted, probably not an issue for a man).
Roof's just seem cramped to me. I don't understand why men like them at all.

The Swift Porro's also have better FOV than roofs especially if you don't wear glasses. Can only bird watch if you can get on the bird and stay on the bird!

That said there must be something about roof's because there are almost no porro's anymore! Sad. Sniff:)

Seems to be that there is something about the construction with the optics placement that allows for better optics in porro's but they are not as durable.

My 820 ED's are my favorite bino's.

Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum and looking to narrow down the list of possible binoculars to replace my old (and now sadly departed) porro prism with. I'm more interested in optical performance/ergonomics than brand name, and have now realised (after lots of forum reading) that excellent performance can be had without the huge extra cost of a 'known' brand name. These two binoculars seem to have excellent reviews from the members on site so they seem like a good place to start!

I'm looking for in order of preference
1. Optical performance (is there a big difference between the two? I enjoy looking for owls in our nearby woods and so dusk performance is important)
2. Okay to use with glasses (with slim lenses!)
3. Lowish bulk (so I don't think too long and hard about taking them out, having said that my last pair weighed a ton (opticron 10x44) and it wasn't too much of a problem!) and if they feel okay to hold I won't mind the weight...

I don't have a shop nearby that sells the porro version so any advice re glasses and the newer models (pull and twist eye cups, I think) would be great. All the adverts say 'excellent' eye relief but the forum appears to differ in its opinions on this point....;)I'd be really interested to hear of anyone WITH glasses who has these and what they think.
Any comments, positive and negative, welcomed!
Cheers, and thanks for the help.
Rob

Hello Rob,

You might want to look at this thread discussing eye relief and a number of related issues, and linking reviews:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1118781#post1118781

I have never looked through any Swift Audubon binoculars, but after reading a number of reviews recently there seems to be a general consensus that the Swift Porro's are optically superior to their roof prism binoculars. If you want a moderately priced roof prism that is closer optically to the Swift Porros, I would look at the Vortex Viper, which I own and is also discussed at length in that thread. One review site ranked the Viper optically superior to the Swift Porro, though that is not conclusive evidence of course.

Best,
Jim

Seems to be that there is something about the construction with the optics placement that allows for better optics in porro's but they are not as durable.

I imagine this has been discussed to death on this forum, but I do not think that is quite correct. Porro prisms are a simpler design, so they can achieve good optics with less engineering than roof prisms. But both designs, when well executed, can achieve the same high levels of optical excellence. Here is one informal comparison that supports that view:

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/roof_vs_porro.html

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back