• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

lesser spot woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Are there any reliable sites in beds or bucks?

Hi Black Kite

A little late here but better late than never LOL

I have seen Lesser Spotted woodpeckers at Putnoe Local Nature Reserve (Bedford)lots of times if you are interested.

The reserve itself has had some major tree removel recently in December 2009 (Acute Oak Disease). So it may have unsettled some of the 3 types of Woodpeckers living there. (a Firecrest has been noted in this Reserve last year)

I stay close to the Reserve and had my first visit last Monday It was quiet but i will have another look yet in a few weeks when the growth is more apparant and see what is what.

I will let you know

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Its interesting how the situation changes around the country. We have a pair of Greater Spotted and a pair of Green Woodpeckers in our garden almost daily :t:
It is a great privilege to view and photo them in my garden but I can't imagine how difficult it could be for me to go out and search for them in the wild so to speak.

I would imagine the best chance is to seek out their favourite habitat. We have a very mixed environment here including a river and mill leat next door which i'm sure accounts for the huge variety of wildlife we have in our garden.

I wonder did anyone help with a good site? I have been looking near the Thames around Marlow for ages without any luck.
Mike

Have recently been reported around the Cliveden area - years ago used to breed very near Boulters Lock area. Last one I saw (ten years ago) was along the ridge north of Taplow Mill stream in a private area that was/is owned by some sort of religous community near St. Regis paper mill. Also the old Canadian Red Cross Hospital grounds (going back more than 20 years at least)- provided they haven't been turned into a mini estate by now. Good luck.

I looked up this information on the website about Putnoe Local Nature Reserve and this is what I found.

Title of document shown where information was found

Bedfordshire and Luton Biodiversity Action Plan
"The Red Data Book"
Rare and Threatened Species in Bedfordshire
and Luton
Bedfordshire and Luton Biodiversity Action Plan
"The Red Data Book"
Last Updated 2001

Comments about Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers

Dendrocopos minor Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
An uncommon resident of woodlands, appearing to show a preference for mature willows and alders
along river valleys and around lakes. The annual breeding population was estimated at between 250 and
500 pairs in the early 1990’s but is thought now to be under 50 pairs. Occurring in 1988-92 at 90 (24%)
tetrads. The breeding population is declining dramatically.
Delichon

Interesting read and it shows how tree species have a strong influence on where Lesser Spots live

As well as Oaks, there are a lot of Hazels in Putnoe LNR too!

Must have another look in the next few weeks and see how the wood area is recovering, and see if the Woodpeckers are out and about once more

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back