• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony NEX5N for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Binface,
I always use the speed priotity continuous. I spoke to Sony and they reckon you'll only get 10fps in JPEG and 7 in RAW. Could be the same for the forthcoming NEX-7. Ther is a 30mm macro lens disgussed earlier in this thread, however it seems to take forever and a day to focus! Glad I don't have that problem, because that would frustrate the hell out of me! Looks like there is a 24mm lens on its way as well. I suspect this lens may vignette as well.
B Lucky
Gary

Difficult to judge between 7 fps and 10 fps I guess (without direct comparison); but could swear the NEX fires faster than my 7d!

Just hoping the new 50mm does the job!

Binface,
Try this. With an empty card fire off as many shots as you can before it starts to slow down. Then check how many shots you've taken in the playback. That'll give you your answer. I use Sony 16GB Pro HG Duo Memory Stick MS Card 50MB/s. I think they are the fastest you can get that work with the NEX cameras. I'm not aware of a faster SD card either.
I think you'll find the 50mm will work as far as lack of vignetting is concerned, however the focusing will be slower than a legacy lens set at infinity, as with the legacy lens the only focusing you need to do is with the scope which you have to do with whatever lens you are using.
B Lucky
Gary

lens corrections

When reading the dpreview NEX7 review I noticed that the lens corrections only work with the Sony E lenses, including the CA correction. This means that CA only can be corrected doing true digiscopy i.e. not when using astrotelescopes or DSLR adapters spotting scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back