• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is pooping in my birdfeeder? (1 Viewer)

Something is leaving little round poops in my birdfeeder at night. Sometimes there are four or five, and other times just one or two. The crazy thing is, you load the feeder from the top with a hinged half roof, and the sides are glass panes. There is about a one inch gap between the glass panels and the poop is always inside, never outside. I am in Upstate New York, and it is Winter here, with snow and temps in the teens at night. Is something sleeping in it?

Attachments

• 20190118_021122.jpg
    20190118_021122.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for the welcome! This might help identification, I hope. Would the squirrels come out at night (between the hours of 2:00 am and 6:00 am? I've checked before these hours and no poop, but when I check at 9:00, there they are, and are quite dried out. They are consistently roundish, not oblong like a mouse or rat. I have a squirrel baffle, but I know that's not guaranteed to keep the smart ones out. Whatever it is obviously lifts up the hinged roof, which isn't that light, and sits in there! It has really got my curiosity up, as the feeder is quite close to my house (60 feet or so) and I'm more concerned about "home invasion".

Attachments

• 20190118_093816.jpeg
    20190118_093816.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 29
This is quite interesting. With only a one inch gap, it's gotta be a small nocturnal mammal. Gonna keep an eye on this interesting thread.

Last edited:
Culprit Revealed

So... the mystery is solved!!! You did read that I am just a "love to feed the birds, look through my window at them" enthusiast... please keep this in mind when I reveal the culprit. After curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to dissect the specimen, I found that it is the elusive, rarely seen in the wild, dried cherry that was in my bird seed mix! I feel so stupid! The reason they were always there in the morning, is that they didn't fit through the gaps! Please find the humor in my post and don't banish me, obviously, I have a lot to learn!!! 8-P

Thanks for the welcome! This might help identification, I hope. Would the squirrels come out at night (between the hours of 2:00 am and 6:00 am? I've checked before these hours and no poop, but when I check at 9:00, there they are, and are quite dried out. They are consistently roundish, not oblong like a mouse or rat. I have a squirrel baffle, but I know that's not guaranteed to keep the smart ones out. Whatever it is obviously lifts up the hinged roof, which isn't that light, and sits in there! It has really got my curiosity up, as the feeder is quite close to my house (60 feet or so) and I'm more concerned about "home invasion".

just a shot in the dark, don't know why, could they be dried cherries?

8-P

thanks for the smiles, I thought they may have been a game bird scat, but could not work out how they would get into the feeder.

Welcome to the forum,

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back