• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendation for a binocular noob (1 Viewer)

Roy,
LCE Exeter could get in from LCE Guildford anything that you want to try and which they they don't actually have in stock.
Probably in a couple of days.
The train only takes just over an hour from Barnstaple.
I used to like the 1 in 4 road near Ilfracombe? Good test of brakes. With long sandpits for runaway lorries.

On a Sunday I went over 250 miles to Anglesey to buy my 150mm Maksutov secondhand. Part of the journey was a single carriage train, not quite horse drawn, but not much faster.
Luckily my relative was fairly nearby and took me back by car, otherwise I wouldn't have got back till Monday.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Porlock Hill Barnstaple to Lynmouth. 1 in 4. I used to enjoy that.
There are steeper roads in the U.K. but not A roads.

Last edited:
Some good advice so far.

I'd consider something pretty decent in an 8x32 and that said perhaps the Zeiss Conquest HD and still have a bit of coin left over with a quality little pair none the less.

Roy,
LCE Exeter could get in from LCE Guildford anything that you want to try and which they they don't actually have in stock.
Probably in a couple of days.
The train only takes just over an hour from Barnstaple.
I used to like the 1 in 4 road near Ilfracombe? Good test of brakes. With long sandpits for runaway lorries.

On a Sunday I went over 250 miles to Anglesey to buy my 150mm Maksutov secondhand. Part of the journey was a single carriage train, not quite horse drawn, but not much faster.
Luckily my relative was fairly nearby and took me back by car, otherwise I wouldn't have got back till Monday.

Regards,
B.

P.S.
Porlock Hill Barnstaple to Lynmouth. 1 in 4. I used to enjoy that.
There are steeper roads in the U.K. but not A roads.
Haha had some hair raising experience on Porlock hill back in the 60's when cars were not what they are today - a lot of cars could not even make it up the hill.
Thanks for all your advice. LCE Exeter would be my nearest big dealer for sure.

Last edited:
I'm not sure LCE Exeter will have any better selection than J&A Cameras. Best to call them before making the trip.

If you're not in a huge hurry to buy then you could take a day trip to Dawlish Warren for the In Focus optics "try and buy" event on 4th May - call their Slimbridge shop before the day to make sure they will have what you need to try - 01453 890978.

If you purchase over the phone or online, as a UK consumer you have the right to return regardless of where you buy from. Your only risk is the cost of the return postage - but that will almost certainly be less than the cost of the petrol to get to the south of Devon!

HTH

Cheers, Pete

I'm not sure LCE Exeter will have any better selection than J&A Cameras. Best to call them before making the trip.

If you're not in a huge hurry to buy then you could take a day trip to Dawlish Warren for the In Focus optics "try and buy" event on 4th May - call their Slimbridge shop before the day to make sure they will have what you need to try - 01453 890978.

If you purchase over the phone or online, as a UK consumer you have the right to return regardless of where you buy from. Your only risk is the cost of the return postage - but that will almost certainly be less than the cost of the petrol to get to the south of Devon!

HTH

Cheers, Pete
Thank you very much Pete - useful info. I would certainly check before taking a trip to an optics shop.

After changing my mind on what to get a few dozen time LOL I have decided to take a punt on a pair of Swarovski El 8x32 WB Field Pro (what does the WB stand for?). A bit above my budget but what the heck :eat:
Thanks again for all the helpful advice guys :t::t::t::t::t:

Last edited:
Hi Roy,

congratulations on your new Swaros - I hope you like them!

W B stands for the german words Weitwinkel (wide angle) and Brille (glasses meaning long eye relief and foldable or twist-up eyecups).

Joachim

Hi Roy,

congratulations on your new Swaros - I hope you like them!

W B stands for the german words Weitwinkel (wide angle) and Brille (glasses meaning long eye relief and foldable or twist-up eyecups).

Joachim
Thank you Joachim - hopefully they will be better thank my 25 year old Alderblick MC 8x42's

After changing my mind on what to get a few dozen time LOL I have decided to take a punt on a pair of Swarovski El 8x32 WB Field Pro (what does the WB stand for?). A bit above my budget but what the heck :eat:

Well played. Enjoy.

Roy,

Great decision, our eyes are not getting any younger, might as well view through one of the best quality glass made. This has been my decision as of late.

Andy W.

Thank you Joachim - hopefully they will be better thank my 25 year old Alderblick MC 8x42's

Hi,

the view will be a lot better... and since you got a pair which is perfect for use with glasses, you could leave them on for using the new bins now... less hassle, more fun...

Joachim

EXCELLENT choice! You won't regret it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back