• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 almost-pocket? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I am looking for a small binocular, manageable, with little weight, but that is of good quality, that is, that provides images with great contrast and sharpness, some time ago I thought that maybe a pocket binocular could be the solution, but currently I have my doubts ... I have also thought that maybe if there is some binocular 8x30, for example, that it is small in size, similar or something bigger than an 8x25 pocket ... maybe it is more luminous ...
Do you know of some 8x30 model that is almost-pocket?
best regards
wachi

Look for the Opticron Discovery WP 8x32. Next look at the Opticron Traveller ED or the Nikon Monarch 7. The Discovery is the smallest 8x32 I have seen that maintains a 60* afov. The others are a bit bigger, but better optically. Discovery for smallest size, the others for a little better optics.

Hello,
I am looking for a small binocular, manageable, with little weight, but that is of good quality, that is, that provides images with great contrast and sharpness, some time ago I thought that maybe a pocket binocular could be the solution, but currently I have my doubts ... I have also thought that maybe if there is some binocular 8x30, for example, that it is small in size, similar or something bigger than an 8x25 pocket ... maybe it is more luminous ...
Do you know of some 8x30 model that is almost-pocket?
best regards
wachi

Hi wachi,

I've noticed several threads where you've been searching for something in the line of a compact with minimal compromise so I'll add my experience and opinion.
I've trialled quite a few options and this is what I've come up with.
Firstly I find an 8x30 to be an unnecessary compromise as far as it being not a pocket and not a medium (x32) so for me I'd just go an (8)x32 as that trade off is more desirable.
Now when I first decided I wanted a compact take everywhere pocket binocular I went the full reduction route in a (Leica UV) 8x20 but I didn't like how fiddly it was although it certainly met the compact requirement. Then comes the trade off, slightly bigger yet still light weight, compact and able to take anywhere. Enter the 8x25, in this case Zeiss Victory. What a difference! This thing provides excellent quality views with ease and handling you'd relate to a much larger binocular.
I've previously owned the M7 8x30 (they have since moved to Ibiza in the hands of another forum member), they aren't too bad but I did find glare issues which troubled me under certain conditions. The Zeiss 8x25 are far superior in every way and are a true pocket, the M7 while compact are far from a pocket size.
While the Zeiss are expensive they are well worth it. I have Leica 8 and 7x42 and EDG 8x32 but the Zeiss 8x25 are my most used, they really are amazing for a compact.
If any of this resonates get a pocket if that's what you're after but a good one will cost you (e.g. Zeiss or Swarovski 8x25). An 8x20 may be not worth the trade off with handling and ease of view while with the 8x30 why not go that bit bigger and get an 8x32.
So this is my logic.
Of course an 8x20 or 8x30 may have their place in a specific set but for me it goes 8x25 then 8x32 then 8x42 and so on.
Check out the Zeiss Victory 8x25 if you really want a useable pocket and can stretch the budget, they really are as good as all the talk.

Last edited:
wachipilots, post 1,
If you are looking for an 8x25 my test report of 8x25 mm binoculars might be of help (see "Verrekijkers testen en vergeljken"on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor). I disagree for 100% with the statement of F88, that the Zeiss Victory 8x25 is"far superior in every way" there are other ones which are also excellent, but it depends very much on your wishes and budget.
Small 8x30 binoculars can also be used as pocket binoculars depending on the size of your pocket and the size of the binoculars. Nikon and Kite have good and not too expensive and compact 8x30 binoculars and there may be other brands as well, but the best thing to do is: go to a shop which has a good selection of binoculars and try them.
Gijs van Ginkel

wachipilots, post 1,
If you are looking for an 8x25 my test report of 8x25 mm binoculars might be of help (see "Verrekijkers testen en vergeljken"on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor). I disagree for 100% with the statement of F88, that the Zeiss Victory 8x25 is"far superior in every way" there are other ones which are also excellent, but it depends very much on your wishes and budget.
Small 8x30 binoculars can also be used as pocket binoculars depending on the size of your pocket and the size of the binoculars. Nikon and Kite have good and not too expensive and compact 8x30 binoculars and there may be other brands as well, but the best thing to do is: go to a shop which has a good selection of binoculars and try them.
Gijs van Ginkel

I find it unusual that every account from you leads back to this house of outdoor. Is this a retail store of which you're affiliated? Regardless of this, we are simply stating opinion which obviously will vary.
I found the M7 8x30 unattractive due to glare issues which made them unreliable. Are they decent, yes in many ways (until the view is completely washed with glare) but not in the same league as the Zeiss 8x25 which has never struggled in any viewing conditions and always provides a quality view generally associated with larger binoculars.
I disagree that any 8x30 can be described as a pocket binocular being both more bulky and around 200g heavier on average than the Zeiss. If you're a wearer of large jackets or coats perhaps they'll do.
As always there are many options for many budgets but unfortunately if you want a true compact that you can actually use and truly enjoy it'll cost you.
I simply offer my experience and opinion based on my experience, I'm not here to actively contest others, unless of course I'm actively challenged like in this case.
In my trial and error an 8x30 no matter how good would not be carried (meaning I'd have no binoculars on me at all) whereby with the 8x25 I'm carrying more often than not. At times when I'd be willing to carry an 8x30 I'm more likely to go up a notch or two in bulk and go with a 32 or 42.
Take from my ramblings what you will but I'm certain one way or another you'll find what you're after in your pursuit.

Last edited:
F88, post 6,
In quite a few posts and topics on this forum, see for example "Intervies with optics retailers"of Jan van Daalen, owner of House of Outdoor you can read how that house operates. It offers space for independent test reports, you will be able to find test reports by Lee (Troubadour on this forum), by me and by other authors. Jan van Daalen offers a platform for independent test research and does not interfere in any way.
With regard to pocket binoculars: I like hiking among others in the mountains of Europe, the US, Africa,Asia etc.
On these hikes I want my binoculars to be easily available, but also not in the way. So I started originally using 8x20's since they are very compact, but that did not satisfy me: not steady enough and not enough light gathering power, so I decided to make the size of my pocket a little bigger, so I could take for example Leitz Trinovid 8x32, Swarovski CL 8x30, Leica Ultravid 8x32 with me as pocket binoculars on different tours and that worked very well: transportation was safe, fast availability and user comfort OK. They were available when I neeeded them and were safely stored away in a pocket when not in use. But I can imagine that they may be of too large a size for some users of course it depends very much on your taste and use.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

Thankyou for sharing your experience.

As I previously mentioned, I also didn't get along with the 8x20 format.
I may be wrong but I'm gathering that wachi is after a compact but is wary due the factors that steered me away from the 8x20 hence my recommendation of a quality 8x25.
For example I can hold my 8x25 just as steady as my 7x42, it has ease and quality of view even into low light and handles like a larger binocular.
I have no reservations in carrying the 8x25 when other binoculars would be left at home.
Had I known a compact could be this good I could have saved money in buying one first up rather the equivalent in cheaper ones then spending again on the Zeiss.

I have a couple of 8X30s...a Swarovski CL 8X30 and the Monarch 7 8X30. I have a lot of time in with both of them. The CL is better in every way except for FOV BUT, the image of the CL is so much better in every other way as it should be. The Monarch 7 has its attributes mainly size, weight, and it's somewhat expendable. It goes a lot of places and does a lot of things when I might be concerned with loss or damage to a better binocular. Neither are IMO, a "pocket" binocular. A jacket pocket yes...but a shirt or pants pocket, no. `

I too have been looking for the best compromise in optic performance and compact size. A couple of years ago that led me to a Vortex Viper 8X28. It's a DECENT binocular but not in the same league as either of the two above. I've used it some but optically it is somewhat underwhelming AND it's not THAT much smaller than the Monarch 7 8X30.

Enter the Zeiss Terra HD 8X25. I just got this binocular about two weeks ago as I'm still looking for something a little more compact with nice optics AND that I wouldn't cry too much if I broke it or lost it. EUREKA! I have a couple of Terra HDs, 8X32 and 8X42. They are decent binoculars but no more. Quite honestly, they retail for a little more than they are worth. So far my impression of the 8X25 is that it's a different animal. For one, it's made in Japan. Optically, it's quite impressive for a not even $300 8X25. Optically or functionally, it's hard to not like it. It is a double hinge design so it folds up quite small to make it a true pocket binocular. It simply TROUNCES the Vortex Viper 8X28 in practically every way. I'm going to give it a real workout in the next couple of weeks while on vacation and I'll have a more complete impression of it but for NOW the Monarch 7 will be staying at home for this trip and the Terra HD is going to make it.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_10fd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10fd.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 74
  • fullsizeoutput_1104.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1104.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 70
At half the price with relatively little trade off the Zeiss Terra ED is an excellent recommendation. As it turns out my Victory Pocket has become my most used binocular so I'm somewhat ok with (somewhat ok with sums up how I feel about the money handed over for all my binoculars) the excessive price for what you get over the Terra.
Sounds like the Terra is at the minimum price of entry for a "usable" pocket bin, not a bad thing at all.

Similar price the Monarch and the Terra ED, 8x30 vs 8x25, then similar image, quality..size..?

I owned the M7 8x30, this one isn't pocket sized.
As far as the Terra vs M7 goes that's better answered by Chuck and others but regarding the M7 vs Victory 8x25 for me there is a vast difference in usability and portability.
Side by side in person the M7 was way less compact than the Victory and about 150g heavier.
If the choice were mine I'd go Terra 8x25 over M7 8x30.

Enter the Zeiss Terra HD 8X25. I just got this binocular about two weeks ago as I'm still looking for something a little more compact with nice optics AND that I wouldn't cry too much if I broke it or lost it. EUREKA! I have a couple of Terra HDs, 8X32 and 8X42. They are decent binoculars but no more. Quite honestly, they retail for a little more than they are worth. So far my impression of the 8X25 is that it's a different animal. For one, it's made in Japan. Optically, it's quite impressive for a not even $300 8X25. Optically or functionally, it's hard to not like it. It is a double hinge design so it folds up quite small to make it a true pocket binocular. It simply TROUNCES the Vortex Viper 8X28 in practically every way. I'm going to give it a real workout in the next couple of weeks while on vacation and I'll have a more complete impression of it but for NOW the Monarch 7 will be staying at home for this trip and the Terra HD is going to make it.

Chuck,
Have you tried the 8x25 Victory series? I would argue that it is in every way superior to the Terra ED and is in fact quite comparable to the 8x32 Conquest HD and, to my eyes, better in some ways (easier eye placement, less CA, fewer apparent aberrations along the edge).
It is a high price to pay if you are considering it just a once in a while pocket, but I have been using it reliably for biological survey work and have had no qualms (so long as you understand it is still a binocular with small diameter objective lenses).

Justin

The Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 and Monarch 7 8x30 are close to the Zeiss Victory 8x25s in height and width, though at 15.5 oz. they are 6 oz. heavier than the Zeiss. This added weight, for me, doesn't make me want to pocket them.

Physically, the pocket that one is likely to place the Zeiss in (unfolded), the Nikons will fit as well. Really a coat pocket most likely.

Though fitting in a pocket wasn't a criteria for me, recently I did decide to buy a small, lightweight, high quality bin to use when binocular viewing wasn't my main objective (as in hiking, during photography, or carrying a scope) and that wouldn't weigh me down after some hours.
I picked the Zeiss Victorys and find them quite excellent.

Attachments

• Zeiss and Nikon 4327.jpg
    Zeiss and Nikon 4327.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
For portability and quality ?

No competition under that criteria. The Zeiss Victory 8x25 folds in half and weighs less than 300g. Regarding quality, I used to carry an EDG 8x32 and while I still have it I don't use it as the ease and quality of view, exceptional handling and portability of the little Zeiss is that good.

Chuck,
Have you tried the 8x25 Victory series? I would argue that it is in every way superior to the Terra ED and is in fact quite comparable to the 8x32 Conquest HD and, to my eyes, better in some ways (easier eye placement, less CA, fewer apparent aberrations along the edge).
It is a high price to pay if you are considering it just a once in a while pocket, but I have been using it reliably for biological survey work and have had no qualms (so long as you understand it is still a binocular with small diameter objective lenses).

Justin

Valid points.
If a lower budget is sought and a true compact is the aim then the Terra would be worth a go in my opinion.
Like Justin, I'm using my compacts quite a lot so the extra expense of the Victory's is worth the benefits.

Chuck,

Justin

I haven't tried it or even seen one in person. I knew you and others thought highly of the Victory. I kicked around the idea of getting the 8X25 Victory before buying the Terra ED. Ebay had one for $699.00. I would have too except I really didn't want spend THAT much on this binocular for what I want to do with it. It's going to be used where I wouldn't take a nicer optic. For instance in a boat/canoe, and to the beach. The Monarch 7 8X30 was doing that duty and may still some but it's just a little too large to go in a pocket.

Have you looked thru the Terra ED 8X25?

Will the Victory 8X25 fold up as small as the Terra ED 8X25?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back