• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Samsung NV3 Digital Camera Part 2 (1 Viewer)

Hi Paul

I've been reading your review of the Samsung NV3 on BirdForum and have gone and bought one; it arrived two days back.

Would you mind answering a question please? I'm travelling to India in a few days time and would like to know what settings to leave the NV3 on, so as to take it from the pocket and hand-hold to the scope for a quick shot. (I've not got the time to experiment with all the settings before leaving ) I've never digiscoped before but want some record shots. I use the old Swarovski 80HD with a zoom lens.

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

PS I did put this onto another thread and had one reply from 'Sleeper' - if you read this....thanks also for your reply!

Pterodroma said:
Hi Paul

Would you mind answering a question please? I'm travelling to India in a few days time and would like to know what settings to leave the NV3 on, so as to take it from the pocket and hand-hold to the scope for a quick shot. (I've not got the time to experiment with all the settings before leaving ) I've never digiscoped before but want some record shots. I use the old Swarovski 80HD with a zoom lens.

Any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

QUOTE]

Firstly you do need to play with it before you go, or it could result in less than acceptable record shots, do you have a fixed w/a eypeiece as well?

Would be more inclined to use this if you have one, due to the small piece of glass on the old swaro zoom and you trying to handhold/juggle the camera into position

If not, then definitley practice on anything that resembles a shape before you go!

The "P" programme is ok and simple to use,

ISO setting between 100 - 400 start at 100 if the pic is blurred go upto 200 and then 400, where you are going i would leave it on 100 due to the amount of sunshine you are going to have but again, a littel trial and error

White balance to be set on cloudy or sunny symbol, if left on auto, colours can look not quite right

Exposure as appropriate, obviously under exposure, do it in degrees and check the shot if it needs more under exposure do it, if you dont you will be keeping record shots of bleached out birds

Metering - on spot metering

Need to review your pics initially to be sure you are happy with the shot

thats it really

Dont forget you can do short video clips say between 10 - 20 secs dependant on you size of memory card/s

Take a few shots of a bird and not just one shot, you can always delete later

You will have to do a little work before you go thats obvious, learn the menus that you need to which totals 3, if you leave it on AUTO, it will give you bleached out pics out there, especially if there is a reasonable amount of white plumage on the bird despite spot metering

Hope that helps

Rgds

Paul

Tested this camera on my scope yesterday in Dixons and found it a remarkable tool.

Now designing an adaptor in my head and thought of a neat design but need to find a cheap tube that I can butcher.

I would like to ask two questions on the video mode.....

Paul, you mentioned 10-20 second video clips. Does that mean there is a 20 second maximum length of each movie clip or can I take a movie for as long as I like until the card is full? I find the thirty second maximum length very annoying on the Coolpix.

Also, is the video clip viewable on a full TV screen or is it a small video clip?

Hi Andrew,
1) I have taken video footage that has lasted for a minute or two, and could have taken footage for far longer had I so wished, until my memory card filled up!
2) The clips can be watched on the full screen of one's TV, when the camera has been connected to said TV.
Regards,
Harry

Paul Jarvis said:
Just bought it Paul, will go in my camera bag with my Contax U4R, Fuji F30 and Sony N1, each have their strengths, there is no one camera that delivers all, thats fact, we compromise with these cameras, the reason i like this camera is i really like the auto setting, thats why i bought it,

/QUOTE]

I'm still dithering over this digiscoping business - I have a Leica 62 scope with a x30 eyepiece. I nearly bought a NV3 a while back but various photographic magazines suggested it it produced pretty indifferent images. When I tried it I found it hard to line up to the eyepiece. However a birder I saw this w/e swore by it and thast in use lining it up wasn't that difficult once you got used to it! Ideally I'd like a camera without an extending lens too......
However, I've also heard good things about the F30 which has the advantage of good low light performance. As you've got both the NV3 & the F30, if pushed which would you opt for?

John

I have question for any NV3 users, does the camera have a burst mode and how many fps can it shoot?

I managed to have a good look at one in martin mere and it does show great promise with it's large screen, internal zoom and 230,000 pixels.

Paul

Thanks for that Harry. Good to know it fills the screen as opposed to the tiny crappy footage from the Coolpix.

I'm thinking about buying the NV3, and noticed John C mentioned a difficulty lining it up against the scope eyepiece. Is anyone using the NV3 successfully with the Swarovski ATS80, which is my scope? I have the 30w and zoom.

Sean

Hi Sean,

I tested the NV3 on my Swaro and found it easy enough to use but I had the 20-60x eyepiece on so can't comment on the 30x but I think it should be okay. I also found it a lot easier to have my Coolpix adaptor on the eyepiece to make it easy to line up the camera when handheld. I shall be designing an adaptor of my own though.

Try taking your scope and tripod into a shop and testing the camera for peace of mind. The shop assistants don't really mind at all.

thanks Andrew, that's reassuring. I usually use the zoom anyway, and also have a Coolpix adaptor. Interesting that that helps.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back