• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favorite kind of animal??? (1 Viewer)

Found a link to show you just how cute woodlice are (YES they are!!!)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/reallywild/amazing/woodlouse.shtml

and one for you Steve...you nutter! LOL

http://ww.geocities.com/~gregmck/woodlice/recipes.htm

OK, back to the original question...my other fave animal would have to be???????......BATS!!! Absolutely adore the little beasties! I'm a member of the Bat Conservation Trust and plan to get out on a few bat walks next summer once I can drive!
Also love to watch badgers,foxes,roe deer,stoats/weasels,dragonflies........just how long do you guys have? It really is a bit of an impossible question!!! I'll cheat by saying I love ALL of nature LOL

Another tricky question to answer but it's hard, especially living on the coast, for me to say anything other than whales and dolphins. Animals it's impossible to ignore or tire of seeing.

thanks for the replies!

I sure did learn about alot of new animals!

I think, accourding to us Texans, that woodlice over there is called Rolly Polleys over here!
LOL

birdman said:
But, I really do rather like dogs, so by extension I suppose that means I'm with you on the wolves, BWL, and with Tammie on the foxes.

(BTW, Tammie, I'm interested in what passes for a "fox" round your way... for us it's the Red Fox.

http://www.mainerivers.org/species/red_fox.htm

I notice the above links to a Maine Red Fox, so perhaps they're up your way too - although I guess we probably all have different sub-species.)

Birdman,
Our red foxes are the same here but we also have what's called the 'Silver Fox'. It's technically black (there's a picture of one in my gallery but I don't know how to put a link here!) but is still a member of the red fox family. They are particularly stunning.

Absolutely all animals and birds(except for rodents -the large grey ones and well woodlice I have not really given any thought to) I am a cat lover, yes they may not be compatible with birds but I love their independent characters,I also have a soft spot for Elephants.Also horses,very noble intelligent creatures,and wappy Springer Spaniels,and handsome loyal German Shepherds which brings one back to Tammies lovely Wolves.
Christine.

On a Holiday to Scotland early last year we stayed in a remote cottage on the West Coast, I took some mixed seeds and Nuts with me to just throw about.

Around 10 pm just as the sun had set we were visited by a Pine Marten, who had me and my Wife totally transfixed for about half an hour...beautiful animal.

Personally, I love the Moose! However, when I was in Yellowstone last year, I was able to view so many mammals, I just loved them all. There was something really wonderful about seeing the bugling Elk in the snow.

Cindy

After birds Raptor Owls Kingfishers, it has to be the big cats, especially the Tiger species. But seeing my first otter on the Esk last year was great, oh for a Pine Marten.

OK, I'll think a bit more on this subject....

Here is a list of animals from various classes that I like (or are fascinated by) for one reason of another:

Ants (Formicidae) ~ Fascinating social development.
Termites (Termitidae) ~ Fascinating independent social development.
Mantises (Manticidae) ~ Sophisticated, highly specialized insect predators.
Parasite flies (Tachinidae) ~ Interesting, mostly internal parasites of various other arthropods, mainly insect larvae.
Parasite wasps (Ichneumon & Chalcid) ~ Like the above.
Jumping spiders (Salticidae) ~ Highly developed vision.
Mites (Acari) ~ Because they are so diverse and ecologically, practically exist everywhere except the oceans.
Sun Spiders (Solifugae) ~ Because they are weight for weight the most terrifying predatory creatures on the planet!
Scorpions (Scorpiones) ~ Simply fascinating in every detail.
Velvet Worms (Onychophora) ~ Curious mixture of "primitive" and "advanced" features.

Fish:
Too many types fascinate, but like Sharks and the many types of Catfish.

Amphibians:
Again, many appeal but like Salamanders and Newts particularly.

Reptiles:
All are fascinating but like Monitors, Skinks, Snakes, Geckos and Turtles/Tortoises.

Birds:
The Rail family (Rallidae) ~ All appeal very much.
Crows (Corvidae) ~ Intelligence and general success.
Parrots (Psitticidae) ~ Like the above for their perceived intelligence and their charm.
Owls (Strigiformes) ~ Look incredible and their highly successful night hunting ability.
Penguins (Sphenisciformes) Because they have developed flippers!
Hummingbirds (Trochilidae) and their surprisingly close relatives Swifts (Apodidae). ~ Both have become extreme aerialists in quite different ways plus echo location has developed in the Cave Swiftlets.
Kingfishers (Alcedinidae) ~ Great example of variation of a theme and of course, many of them beautiful species.

Mammals:
The Monotremes ie Duckbilled Platypus and the Echidna's. ~ Mammals that lay eggs. Very specialized survivors from the early days of Mammals.
Bats both (Michrochiroptera) and (Megachiroptera). ~ Two actually relatively unrelated mammal groups that have each developed flight independently of each other. Fascinating life histories in many species including blood sucking, fishing, flower pollination, vertebrate predation such as rats and mice in a couple of the largest species!
Armadillos (Dasypodidae) ~ Just great looking and represent an early though specialized mammal group.
Cats (Felidae) ~ The most specialized carniviora (unless you include the Seals and Sealions) and arguably in some species, the most beautiful.
Bears (Ursidae) ~ Wonderful generalists.
Elephants (Proboscidea) ~ Who doesn't love them.
Dolphins and Whales (Cetacea) ~ The most water adapted mammals and in the Delphinidae, showing remarkable social interaction and intelligence.
Tapirs (Tapiridae) ~ Their looks and their relationship to both Rhino's and Horses.
Last, and not for any hierarchical reasons, the Primates in all their wonderful forms.

Last edited:
pduxon said:
What does wappy mean? Great dog the Springer always look sssssoooo happy.
Presume you like Foxes?
Wappy means exactly what it says Pete,absolutley barking mad,and yes they always have a smile,we have had ,until recently, 8 rescue Springers,not all at once,usually 3 at a time.They have all been totally insane,but highly intelligent,very lovable,and to my mind they are one of the best all round breed of dogs you could hope for.
Foxes,yes they are okay,fascinating creatures,but not quite in the same category as wolves.Wolves I think are solitary ,majestic animals,they are lone creatures,very mythical and therefore full of mystery and magic.
Christine.

For me it's snakes !!! I have had several as 'pets' ( hate the term , one very valid point here , snakes are not and do not make good pets !! ) .. started with a Californian King then had a Western Hog then a Desert Boa ( only one and a half feet long ... dead cute snake ) , biggest snake I had was Brix , my 16 foot Burmese Python !! oh , I also had a Thai Beauty Snake .
I also love all other reptiles , amphibians , insects and arachnids ...

Gill Osborne said:
Found a link to show you just how cute woodlice are (YES they are!!!)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/reallywild/amazing/woodlouse.shtml

and one for you Steve...you nutter! LOL

http://ww.geocities.com/~gregmck/woodlice/recipes.htm

OK, back to the original question...my other fave animal would have to be???????......BATS!!! Absolutely adore the little beasties! I'm a member of the Bat Conservation Trust and plan to get out on a few bat walks next summer once I can drive!
Also love to watch badgers,foxes,roe deer,stoats/weasels,dragonflies........just how long do you guys have? It really is a bit of an impossible question!!! I'll cheat by saying I love ALL of nature LOL

I also think bats are very interesting, great to have around to help reduce the mosquito population. Some go so far as to install bat houses to encourage them to stay close by. Personallly I have to admit to being a little freaked out however when they're swooping over my head at night.

mungicake said:
I also think bats are very interesting, great to have around to help reduce the mosquito population. Some go so far as to install bat houses to encourage them to stay close by. Personallly I have to admit to being a little freaked out however when they're swooping over my head at night.

Yeah, bats are cool! We can watch them swoop through the yard in the summer aroun 10:00 pm just as it's getting dark. You can see their silhouette against the sky. Very neat. I'm hoping to get a bat house this summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back