• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID on four moths (sorry not good pics) (1 Viewer)

pmydon

Grey Nomad
I have just got back from a lengthy trip and started mothing again. As I have never trapped at this time of year, almost everything is new to me. I have battled for three days now to identify all my moths and am left with four.

Can anyone sort them out for me please, as it is driving me crazy.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2029_2_1.JPG
    IMG_2029_2_1.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2035_3_1.JPG
    IMG_2035_3_1.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2131_4_2.JPG
    IMG_2131_4_2.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 900_1_1.JPG
    900_1_1.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 53
The first one is Muslin footman, I think. I'll pass on 2 and 3 but 4 looks like an oddly posed Barred Straw.

David

How big was the noctuid? It couldn't be a Cumbrian form of one of the Oligia sp. could it?
A crazy thought o:)- it has some resemblance to a heath rustic (a month early!)

Last edited:
Brilliant. I don't know how I missed Muslin Footman in Waring, but I did. Barred Straw also seems right.

I don't have the noctuid now, but I do have the container. With a little extrapolation, I estimate the overall length was about 15mm. I have no idea what an Ogilia sp is, but to my eye it does not seem to greatly resemble a heath rustic, but then it does not seem to resemble anything in Waring (but I did miss the Muslin Footman which should have been pretty obvious).

Hi Ken,

The photo on UK moths for the heath rustic is certainly nearer than the illustration in WAring (well, to my eye).

However on on your comment on the minors, a day before I caught what I thought was a marbled minor, although I noted the comments about genitalia which I can't (or won't) get into.

From the overall shape, I suspect it is an Oligia.

As usual, you have been most helpful in pointing me in direction to explore more. Now what are you like on pug identification????

Attachments

• 2337  Marbled Minor_1_1.JPG
    2337 Marbled Minor_1_1.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 37
2 is too worn to ID and 3 is a heavily worn Oligia sp., having lost virtually all its scales from leading edge of wing down to the termen (hence the apparent white colour). It's not a Heath Rustic.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back