• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first binocular (1 Viewer)

13F

Today I bought my first binocular MONARCH 10x42DCF.
Becasue I've long long time no touch binocular more than twenty years.:-O
When my eyes watch through the lens I really shocked by clear and bright image and then I take it on my way home~haha

my opinions
1. clear,bright, sharp and natural color.
When I look at far scenery over 400 meters and the image I feel is not
sharp enough.Maybe the other high grade pairs can be better.
2. FOV is not wide.
3. Shocking is a little trouble if I see far target.

In short, I feel it's a good binocular for beginner.

Joe

When my eyes watch through the lens I really shocked by clear and bright image and then I take it on my way home~haha

my opinions
2. FOV is not wide.

Joe

Joe

welcome to the wonderful world of optics...and the never ending search for the perfect binocular. :cat:

Luckily birds are small, so you can always get the entire bird within the sweet spot. I had that pair for several years and got over 100 lifers with it.

my opinions
2. FOV is not wide.

Joe

Congratulations - I think you made an excellent choice.

The numeric field of view on your 10x binocular won't be as wide as what you might find on a lower power glass like a Nikon 7x35 Action. There is a tradeoff between magnification and field of view and your binoculars are weighted toward providing greater magnification.

The far off image may not be clear for a couple of reasons. If you are viewing through haze the high power binoculars may seem to amplify that haze. Is the diopter set correctly for your eyes? 10x binoculars can be difficult to handhold and any hand shake can degrade the image.

The far off image may not be clear for a couple of reasons. If you are viewing through haze the high power binoculars may seem to amplify that haze. Is the diopter set correctly for your eyes? 10x binoculars can be difficult to handhold and any hand shake can degrade the image.
I initially thought my 8x42 Monarchs weren't that sharp, but found that the focus wheel is much more sensitive than my previous pair. I just wasn't focusing it carefully enough.

In past weeks, I usually take it and standing outdoor to search birds at 6 o'clock.
It's interesting and relaxed myself at peace.

I remember there're serval eagles hovered in sky near my home 25 years ago.
Had a time I standed outdoor to see many sparrows in my front (4 meters).
Suddenly I heard loud warble and I didn't know what happened.
next second I saw the ground became dark...I guess that's a shadow of dark cloud
but the sky was clear.I was alert something must be wrong ! I turned my body quickly and scared by a very wide and dark wing flew above my head just three meters and
The eagle didn't catch any sparrow and climbed up fast.
The scene is amazing and great.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back