• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Countryfile - Photo Competition. Ethical Photo? (1 Viewer)

Johnny1

Countryfile Photo Comp, Ethical pic??

I'd like to hear what other members feel about the photograph of the three dormice which was picked as one of the finalists in the photo competition on Sundays program, surely these sleeping/hibernating dormice must have been removed from their nests to take this photo? I don't think a photo that shows animals that have been disturbed in this way should be allowed.

Countryfile - Photo Competition

I watched Countryfile yesterday to see the finallists that they had picked for the Photo Competition. I must say I was quite disapointed on most of them that they had chosen.

I am not sure if it is me being over critical, but I have seen far better in Birdforums Competitions and in the Gallery. An example of this is the Insect ones they chose, quite a few of our entries from our recent comp. far outshone what they had decided on.

I think this shows what a high standard of pictures and photographers that we have in BF !

Here is a link to the ones they have decided on.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/environment/programmes/countryfile/photocomp_2004.shtml

There's an old saying for any competition - 'If you don't enter, you can't win!'

I wonder if any BF members have actually entered the BBC competition?

They can only choose the finalists from those that have entered. I've not looked at the link above, yet, but often they will be looking for something else in a competition other than a proficient shot.

We may admire a sharp, well exposed shot that shows all the features of a particular species, whereas the judges may just see the subject as more or less incidental to the overall composition (A couple of rules for any photo comp: read the rules carefully and find out all you can about the judge's preferences!).

The link won't give me access to anything. Or is it in ruffled feathers which I am not subscribed to.

Last edited:
Karwin said:
Muscardinus avellanarius is one of Britain's most endangered mammals. Action described above is illegal.

Appendix
Seen that picture now. Looks like a case of animal pedophilia to me.

Plus the Parus montanus there http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/environment/programmes/countryfile/photocomp_2004.shtml is not montanus but palustris.

"* Dormice are protected in the UK. Steven Robinson had a licence to handle these three." - from the bottom of the finalists page.

This is not enough of an excuse to show this photo as part of an open competition - this may cause a few 'loonies' to try to emulate this shot for their own 'collection'.

Tut, tut, BBC - not very responsible, methinks!

Andy.

The websirte notes that they are protected an a special licence was required to handle them. There was also a Bill Oddie program where they went about opening nest boxes looking for dormice too.

I've emailed Countryfile with my comments, I suggest that others do the same if they are unhappy with this being published. Details are on their website.

Andy.

I also had my doubts about the shot.
I've moved this thread to the main forums as it's totally on-topic and deserves a better airing.

I thought that no matter how "cute" they may have looked this picture should not be allowed even if it encourages one person to do the same, it is still one too many .
As Andrew quite correctly said "This is not enough of an excuse to show this photo as part of an open competition - this may cause a few 'loonies' to try to emulate this shot for their own 'collection'."
I don't think they actually mentioned about the licence when the programme was getting transmitted, but I may be wrong.

Just going slightly off at a tangent but I started a thread this morning on the overall standard of the photos that reached the final http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=24727

I've now merged the threads into this one, which makes it look a bit odd in places but it simplifies things to an extent

Photographing those little dormice is akin to being to close to nesting birds.Nothing is sacred from unscrupulous people.But when I was watching Countryfile yesterday,and there were glimpses of the photos ,I am sure I recognised a few.The Robin on a log,the Kingfisher,did anyone from BF enter the comp?.

I'm pleased to see it wasn't only me who thought these pics are in poor taste, I watched the programme from beginning to end and don't remember anything being said about the photographer having a licence/permit to photograph these dormice. and as already stated it could encourage others to actively search out dormice to try similar shots.

Not exactly the same but similar from Sunday. I saw an article http://www.people.co.uk/petsandpeople/ and it listed animals that had moved into the urban environment. Usual things foxes, badgers etc. But it also included Sparrowhawks, there wasn't much detail in the whole article just a basic list, but the thing that aggravated me was under a picture of a sparrowhawk was the caption "Can be vicious". It made me think what some else who knew little about them would interpret that to mean, i.e. could attack people, children, pets!

I think I know what they were getting at but at the same time they have not thought through the consquences, just like the dormice.

Just received a reply from the Countryfile director....

"Thank you for your concerns regarding the picture of the three dormice
in our photographic competition. The photographer does hold a dormice
licence to monitor dormice and we were assured at the time of judging
that the mice would have been temporarily removed from their nest as
part of a scientific project which ultimately could increase numbers of
dormice and help protect the species. It was with these assurances that
we were happy to put the picture through to the final twelve. We have
made this point on our website and should the picture win the
competition, the circumstances under which the picture was taken will be
made very clear to the viewers in the programme."

...which seems to indicate that the issue was not mentioned during the broadcast.

Perhaps it's time to contact English Nature and ask their opinion?

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back