• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Contax 4UR now available (1 Viewer)

U4R pictures

Hi Martin,
Thanks for showing the pictures. They looked very good to me. How many shots did you take to get these three? Which adaptor did you use?
Cheers,
John

christineredgate said:
Martin were your pics,digiscoped ,or just with the camera on it's own?

Hi Christine , they were digiscoped , i used the camera on Swarovski ATS 80 HD with the 20-60x zoom with the DCA adapter.

Cheers Martin

they looked VERY good considering sharpness and color! Noise a bit high perhaps?? did you use some auto-ISO setting?

John Gibson2 said:
Hi Martin,
Thanks for showing the pictures. They looked very good to me. How many shots did you take to get these three? Which adaptor did you use?
Cheers,
John

Hi John, i took about ten shots to get the three as the birds were very active . The camera does not have not have any way of attaching a shutter release cable (will make my own soon as seen in the forum) so i used the self timer on the camera which is either 2 or 10 seconds, a lot of action can happen in 2 secs (see pic attached). I used the Swarovski DCA adaptor . I know this picture has nothing to with birds but shows how good the lens of this camera is in showing a lot of detail.

Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• KICX0227.JPG
    KICX0227.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 342
  • moon .jpg
    moon .jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 329
U4R pictures

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the reply. Ingenious. On the basis of your results I've stopped dithering and ordered the camera. I've got a Leica scope so I'm not sure whether the DCA would be the best choice of adaptor for me. If anyone out there has any suggestions I would be glad to receive them. Let me know how you get on with the shutter release. I plan to make my own battery pack once I know what the physical requirements are, should that prove necessary.
Cheers,
John

John Gibson2 said:
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the reply. Ingenious. On the basis of your results I've stopped dithering and ordered the camera. I've got a Leica scope so I'm not sure whether the DCA would be the best choice of adaptor for me. If anyone out there has any suggestions I would be glad to receive them. Let me know how you get on with the shutter release. I plan to make my own battery pack once I know what the physical requirements are, should that prove necessary.
Cheers,
John

I use the Leica adaptor from SRB Film www.srbfilm.co.uk Only cost £30 it's designed for the Coolpix but the Contax filter screws on nicely and works a treat.

Mark

Andy Bright said:
Hi Martin, I received my U4R on Tuesday but have not had a chance to do any digiscoping with it as yet. Hopefully, over the next few days I will be able to post some initial shots with it and a rundown of it's abilities. No cable-release adapter for it as yet, so any photos may be slightly below it's full capabilities.
Battery consumption does seem a bit better than the sl300, even though it is now powering the big 2 inch monitor rather than a 1.5 inch. ISO settings on the U4R do not seem comparable vs the sl300.... ISO50 seems to equate to 100 on the sl300.
cheers,
Andy
Hi Andy, I am planning ot get into digiscoping as soon as I can decide which camera to buy! This thread on the new U4R seems to have stopped. Am I missing something?
I have been contacting dealers both in Canada (only one trying to get either the SL300RT* or the U4R) and the US (SL300RT* out of production, U4R not available yet). So it looks like I may out of luck with the SL300RT*.
Thanks,
Mary

maryschuster said:
Hi Andy, I am planning ot get into digiscoping as soon as I can decide which camera to buy! This thread on the new U4R seems to have stopped. Am I missing something?
I have been contacting dealers both in Canada (only one trying to get either the SL300RT* or the U4R) and the US (SL300RT* out of production, U4R not available yet). So it looks like I may out of luck with the SL300RT*.
Thanks,
Mary

Patience, patience. The U4R should be available in U.S. stores any day now. In the meantime, a quick web search proved to me that the SL300RT is still available from any number of online dealers.

Doug Greenberg said:
Patience, patience. The U4R should be available in U.S. stores any day now. In the meantime, a quick web search proved to me that the SL300RT is still available from any number of online dealers.

Patience? What is that? I want to start digiscoping! ;) I have so far only gone through the Kyocera "find a dealer" search for locations where I could pick up in the States, plus an e-mail to them re Canadian distributers. Four days on and no reply. Grr.
Mary

maryschuster said:
Patience? What is that? I want to start digiscoping! ;) I have so far only gone through the Kyocera "find a dealer" search for locations where I could pick up in the States, plus an e-mail to them re Canadian distributers. Four days on and no reply. Grr.
Mary

Based on BF and also posts in other photographic forums, it's become pretty clear that Kyocera North America is fairly incompetent when it comes to responding to consumer inquiries. They just don't respond, usually, and when they do respond the answers provided are off-the-wall. The technical people behind the walls of Kyocera seem to do good work (as with repairs, etc.), but the communications side of things is a shambles.

So I would advise Mary not to wait for advice from Kyocera, if she is in a hurry to buy a camera. The Contax SL300RT seems to be available at Adorama in New York City, should she care to travel that far. In Canada, I'd try Henry's in Toronto.

Doug Greenberg said:
Based on BF and also posts in other photographic forums, it's become pretty clear that Kyocera North America is fairly incompetent when it comes to responding to consumer inquiries. They just don't respond, usually, and when they do respond the answers provided are off-the-wall. The technical people behind the walls of Kyocera seem to do good work (as with repairs, etc.), but the communications side of things is a shambles.

So I would advise Mary not to wait for advice from Kyocera, if she is in a hurry to buy a camera. The Contax SL300RT seems to be available at Adorama in New York City, should she care to travel that far. In Canada, I'd try Henry's in Toronto.
I actually had a response from Kyocera today, but they did not answer my questions!!!! My reply elicted an immediate response giving me the Canadian supplier, who led me to Henry's. Henry's had previously denied carrying the camera :C I finally found a Toronto store who will get one for me for a whopping $699 CAD. I think I shall be making a little trip to the nearest US dealer ( or ordering online) once I decide on which camera is the best.
BTW I recall Andy commenting that the U4R has a ?6 times digital zoom then writing Urgg. As a novice I don't understand the significance of this. Can someone enlighten me?
Thanks
Mary

Hi Mary,

digital zoom is generally considered to be a broadly worthless "addition" to a camera, in that it degrades picture quality, and is nothing which you can't do with PC based image processing software anyway.

In fact, all digital zoom does is to crop and enlarge the image using software manipulation - it isn't real zoom at all: and when used at too high a setting will provide blocky, soft, pixelated images (although used with discretion and at a low magnification level it can provide acceptable results - but why bother?)

A 6x digital zoom does indeed warrant an "Urgg"!

This page gives you more information:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Digital_Imaging/Digital_zoom_01.htm

blythkeith said:
Hi Mary,

digital zoom is generally considered to be a broadly worthless "addition" to a camera, in that it degrades picture quality, and is nothing which you can't do with PC based image processing software anyway.

In fact, all digital zoom does is to crop and enlarge the image using software manipulation - it isn't real zoom at all: and when used at too high a setting will provide blocky, soft, pixelated images (although used with discretion and at a low magnification level it can provide acceptable results - but why bother?)

A 6x digital zoom does indeed warrant an "Urgg"!

This page gives you more information:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Digital_Imaging/Digital_zoom_01.htm
Thanks Keith, There is so much to learn about this! I will go to that webpage.
BTW, touch that NE soil for me, I am a transplanted geordie myself.
Mary

I enjoying the Kyocera version and it seems to take good photographs. I have a mate working on an adaptor for me. The big disappointment is the battery life and I would be interested in your battery pack solution. Do you think it could be used for the Nikon CP4500 too?
Neil

John Gibson2 said:
Hi Martin,
Cheers,
John

U4r

martinattullymet said:
Hi folks , just to let you know that the Contax 4UR (updated version of the Contax SL300R T?) is now available £397 . Have just ordered one from www.pixmania.com , hopefully arriving early next week ,can't wait as this will be my first digiscope camera. I still have not decided which adaptor to get ?... any ideas please . I have a Swarovski ATS 80 HD with the 20-60x zoom . I look forward to hearing you .

Cheers Martin

Hi Martin, gather the release adapter will be available in a week from Pennine, will also include a tripod mount on this one.
You know you could have got from ffords in Inverness same price.
Cheers
Frazer

martinattullymet said:
Hi John, i took about ten shots to get the three as the birds were very active . The camera does not have not have any way of attaching a shutter release cable (will make my own soon as seen in the forum) so i used the self timer on the camera which is either 2 or 10 seconds, a lot of action can happen in 2 secs (see pic attached). I used the Swarovski DCA adaptor . I know this picture has nothing to with birds but shows how good the lens of this camera is in showing a lot of detail.

Cheers
Martin

Hi Martin
Liked the pics quite impressed. What was the settings on the moon shot.
Stan.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back