• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica HD Ultravid PLUS (1 Viewer)

Edge to edge

They are not quite as pin sharp from edge to edge as my swarovisions, but I would say that they are almost there - not like the Zeiss FLs. I have noted before that the little edge blurring that they have somehow makes the view more relaxing.

It means that on the IWA the 50+ will be launched.

Jan

You were correct Jan: here come the 50's

Ultravid HD-Plus 50
Improved light transmission
With the Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 50, Leica has designed and constructed a new generation of Leica Ultravid binoculars with considerably improved light transmission and resolving power. The Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 50 models are available with eight-fold, ten-fold and twelve-fold magnification and are identified by an engraved ‘HD’ in red on the strap lugs of the binoculars. The three new models are particularly suitable for use in twilight.​

Lee

You were correct Jan: here come the 50's

Ultravid HD-Plus 50
With the Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 50, Leica has designed and constructed a new generation of Leica Ultravid binoculars with considerably improved light transmission and resolving power. The Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 50 models are available with eight-fold, ten-fold and twelve-fold magnification and are identified by an engraved ‘HD’ in red on the strap lugs of the binoculars. The three new models are particularly suitable for use in twilight.​

Lee

Yes, there was an embargo on this news 'till the first week of march, but when the manufacturer removes them from their list..........B :)

Jan

Yes, there was an embargo on this news 'till the first week of march, but when the manufacturer removes them from their list..........B :)

The really interesting question is what else they have on their "embargo list" ... :smoke:

After all, they mentioned that there'd be "something new" this year at the Pferd & Jagd last December. And the guy I talked to didn't mean the 50mm HD Plus.

Also, there's as yet not 32mm HD Plus ...

Hermann

The really interesting question is what else they have on their "embargo list" ... :smoke:

After all, they mentioned that there'd be "something new" this year at the Pferd & Jagd last December. And the guy I talked to didn't mean the 50mm HD Plus.

Also, there's as yet not 32mm HD Plus ...

Hermann

I am eagerly looking out for a leica 10x50 hd plus which is still on their website.
I am a bit confused

IWA Fair Announcement

I received my "New Products... at IWA Fair" email from Leica Camera AG early this morning.

The HD Plus 50s are mentioned boldly as is the new Geovid HD-R 42 (8x and 10x) as well as new riflescope, extender, adapters and a tripod.

Here's the main text:

Dear Friends of Leica Sport Optics,

At IWA 2015 in Nuremberg from 6 to 9 March 2015, Leica will be presenting a whole range of new products for hunters and nature enthusiasts. The highlight of the show is a new member of the Magnus family, the 1.8–12 × 50 power zoom riflescope for universal hunting needs. In addition to the new Geovid HD-R (Types 402 and 403) and the three new Ultravid HD-Plus 50 models, visitors to the Leica stand at IWA can also take a closer look at the Extender 1.8× for spotting scopes, the digital adapter for the Leica X (Type 113) and the C-170 tripod with matching VH1 and VH2 video heads. You can find the Leica at stand 1/336 in hall 1.

The Leica Sport Optics team hopes you have a great time discovering all the new Leica products.

Ultravid HD-Plus 50

With the Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 50, Leica has designed and constructed a new generation of Leica Ultravid binoculars with considerably improved light transmission and resolving power. The Leica Ultravid HD-Plus 50 models are available with eight-fold, ten-fold and twelve-fold magnification and are identified by an engraved ‘HD’ in red on the strap lugs of the binoculars. The three new models are particularly suitable for use in twilight.

Clicking on the graphic links this URL:

http://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Binoculars/Leica-Ultravid-HD-and-HD-Plus

hello, what are the findings and remarks on this HD plus (10x42 ?) of owners so far ?

Pimpelmees ,

The new hd plus is really a good bin
Super sharp , focusdrive that is really smooth and not notchy as the swaro
A pleasant relaxing view
Ok not the super wide field and field flattener marketing.
But just the quality and microcontrast and the colourdepth.
Too many issues with a broken focusdrive of my el made me come back to leica
The Sf could not convice me , sorry
Ps i have been using the swarovision and zeiss fl in the past as well so I know what I compare it with.

Pimpelmees ,

The new hd plus is really a good bin
Super sharp , focusdrive that is really smooth and not notchy as the swaro
A pleasant relaxing view
Ok not the super wide field and field flattener marketing.
But just the quality and microcontrast and the colourdepth.
Too many issues with a broken focusdrive of my el made me come back to leica
The Sf could not convice me , sorry
Ps i have been using the swarovision and zeiss fl in the past as well so I know what I compare it with.

ok thanks Arran, i always hear and read that the ultravids are build very well mechanical wise ?

Hello, Has Ultravid HD Plus the awesome contrast in center of field as Swarovision? Or otherwise, is it more at level of SLC HD and Zeiss FL, HT?

Hello, Has Ultravid HD Plus the awesome contrast in center of field as Swarovision? Or otherwise, is it more at level of SLC HD and Zeiss FL, HT?

Just got a pair of 7x42 HD Plus. At first outing they are amazing. I compared them to Zeiss 7x42 FL T* and Nikon EDG II 7x42 and they have the best that each has to offer. They are brighter than the older HDs, slightly sharper, and the color saturation, clarity, and contrast are second to none.

The Zeiss is slightly brighter but at a cost. To my eyes the Zeiss wash out the colors a little. Nikon's color saturation, contrast, and overall view is one of my favorite. The new Leica HD Plus takes the best of each and incorporates it into one great view that rivals the Swarovision EL. What's more, they are more compact. They offer slightly more eye relief than Zeiss but slightly less close focus ability.

HD Plus users,

Could you comment on the color correction, as in fringing on high contrast edges, vs the competition?

Fringing? What fringing?

I have been using the 7x42 for about 2 months and am still highly impressed every time I use them. I see no fringing whatsoever and their color representation, I think, is perfect.

There's brand new Leica store in our local mall here in this area and they have the 7x42 and 8x42 models of the HD Plus. I got to fondle the 8x42 model for a several minutes.

As Leica owner's already know that their products exude quality and perfection. The user controls are excellent and everything is about as perfect as you can get. I was shocked how small the 8x42 binoculars are in size but they do have a little heft to them.

The optics were clean, crisp and bright. I could only gaze down the outside corridors of the mall but there are a couple of skylights with very bright light. The shadows produce some excellent contrast and for a few minutes I tried to find an edge that could produce some fringing. Couldn't find any.

My only issue which I believe I fixed was that the eye relief was quite short. I also had to make sure the binoculars were properly adjusted. After that, I didn't have any issues.

Next visit, I'll bring my high-end binoculars (Vortex Razor HD 12x50) to compare to the HD Plus. I'm just curious if I can "notice" any obvious distances.

Unfortunately, the store is not in an ideal location for binocular viewing so I'm not sure I'll notice anything significant.

There's brand new Leica store in our local mall here in this area and they have the 7x42 and 8x42 models of the HD Plus. I got to fondle the 8x42 model for a several minutes.

As Leica owner's already know that their products exude quality and perfection. The user controls are excellent and everything is about as perfect as you can get. I was shocked how small the 8x42 binoculars are in size but they do have a little heft to them.

The optics were clean, crisp and bright. I could only gaze down the outside corridors of the mall but there are a couple of skylights with very bright light. The shadows produce some excellent contrast and for a few minutes I tried to find an edge that could produce some fringing. Couldn't find any.

My only issue which I believe I fixed was that the eye relief was quite short. I also had to make sure the binoculars were properly adjusted. After that, I didn't have any issues.

Next visit, I'll bring my high-end binoculars (Vortex Razor HD 12x50) to compare to the HD Plus. I'm just curious if I can "notice" any obvious distances.

Unfortunately, the store is not in an ideal location for binocular viewing so I'm not sure I'll notice anything significant.

How did you "fix" the short ER???

B'nR

How did you "fix" the short ER???

Sorry should have just said "adjusted" the short ER by adjusting my position on the binocular. It seems that every maker has a certain placement they want your eyes to be for ideal performance. I just had to fiddle with it for a time before my eyes felt comfortable.

HD Plus users,

Could you comment on the color correction, as in fringing on high contrast edges, vs the competition?

I have the 8x42 HD Plus here since a couple of days, it´s the most beautiful and smallest of the alphas. I´ll not say too much now, need more experience, but I do see it´s very extreme both in its good and not so good properties. Like the SLC, it´s definitely on the warm side, but with higher colour saturation than the other binos I have compared. And also like the SLC, the extremely high contrast and excellent flare suppression together with a warm tint make the images look a bit darker than expected.

Chromatic aberration is definitely higher than in both the Swarovski competitors, which did surprise me. The Leica needs very exact positioning of the pupils, which might be the main reason for the stronger CA. But what a beautiful glass and how it fits easily into my hands... hard to put it away, it wants to be used.

I´ll post once I publish my first impressions, compared with both Swaros and Zeisses...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back