• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shift key issue (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Acer Aspire E1-510 laptop. Windows 8

Friday the left shift key stopped working properly and it seemed that the shift lock kept going on. This meant that I couldn't use CTRL Shift to highlight text, nor CTRL End to highlight a whole row. CTRL End took me to the bottom of the page. And just now I can't get the plus sign, only =!!

I closed down some programmes with the intention of re-booting and this seemed to sort things out. All was well yesterday. But not today.

There's plenty of free space on my C drive; would it be Memory..... can't get the question mark, nor brackets!! I can't remember how to find out how much memory is free.

In order to get capitals I either have to use the right shift key, or hit Caps Lock.

Can anyone tell me what's going on please?

The right shift key seems to be working OK.

?)@ or was... now it won't! ?) hmmm... intermittent.:eek!::-C

Now the right shift key seems to be struggling with some of the symbols:

!"£$%&)_+

Soooo.... the six key isn't working at all, neither is the eight key and nine key

What the heck is going on here?

Hi Delia, just a guess on this one, check to see if 'sticky keys' are enabled. Control Panel > Accessibility > uncheck sticky keys check box.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

No, not that; the only thing ticked is Toggle keys, and that's OK.

Hmmm brain been bothering me!;)

Last week I downloaded software for my new camera, which included a programme called Quicktime. I understand I'd need that if I was wanting to view videos, which I don't. Could this have caused the problem?

You could remove Quicktime and see if it does make a difference, although I have had Quicktime on my PC for years and not had a problem.

Another possibility is to try using a usb keyboard if you have one. If it works ok then it could well be the keyboard on your laptop is faulty.

Another suggestion is to hold down both Shift keys for 4-5 seconds and see if that has any effect.

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Delia,
I can think of a few things.
First try another keyboard, if you have a spare usb keyboard laying around plug that in.
I suspect that will fix the problem.
Now the cause.
Possibly a sticky key, shift or ctrl ??
Lappy kboards aren't as easy to clean as pc ones.
But are easy to remove if you have a few "practical" skills or know someone who does.
Try a few light taps on the side to try and shuffle any crud that may have got itself underneath around a bit.
Do different keys become non functional ??
It could also be a loose cable from the kboard to the motherboard.
Quicktime shouldn't have changed anything but nothing is impossible.
Have a play with an external kboard first, if that fixes the problem at least you will then know where the problem lies.
If it doesn't then it becomes a bit of a "Hmmmmm" problem.
Have a good one

Thanks Graham.

No spare keyboard I'm afraid. I've some cleaning gel, but it doesn't seem to have helped; still the same keys affected. I can work around the numbers, as they're working on the keypad. More of a problem is the lack of an opening bracket <above the 9) which I can't find on the Character Map.

I've tried tapping the sides of the lappy, but not made any difference at all.

Strange that it went off on Friday, got it back and was OK all day yesterday and this morning, then suddenly went again.

Ah!! I've found the opening bracket now ( LOL so saved it into PhraseExpress.

If you can't beg or borrow a kboard for 10 min then there is the other approach.
System Restore, it's part of Windows and is easy to use.
Basically all your doing is winding the puter back to a time before the problem occurred.
Here's some instructions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
Scroll down and click on
Restore your PC to an earlier point in time.
Follow the prompts and let Windows do it's majic.
Just trying to work out if it's hardware related ie your kboard which I suspect or software related which System Restore will fix.
Was the opening bracket hidden under a different key to usual ?
There's a chance the camera software has told the operating system that you have a different style / language to what it was before.
ie I'ts remapped your keys.
Unusual if it has, but nothing is ever beyond the bounds of probability when it comes to computers.
If so a restore to a date before you installed the software should fix it.
When you dloaded the software you did dload an English version ??
Not one from some European country and installed it using the English option.
Just trying to think of the not so obvious causes.
Happy sleuthing.

Thanks Grahame. I found the opening bracket on one of the Character Maps through Control Panel. I gave the keyboard a good clean with Cybergel last night, but it hasn't made any difference.

So the problem remains that the LH Shift Key doesn't operate and the 6, 8 and 9 keys on the top row don't work either.

At least I can use alternatives at the moment (always the RH shift and the number pad) and now PhraseExpress for the opening bracket. I've a busy day today, but may pop a note into a neighbour's door later to see if he can have a look sometime this week.

I'll ponder on System Restore later. Thanks for the instructions to get there.

Hiya Andrew.... never heard of it LOL, so I wouldn't know.

Where have you been hiding then?

Eeeeh.... aren't I clever? Typed using OSK (that's On screen keyboard!)

All keys working!

We have a nice cave network here.

That makes it a physical issue, maybe wiring/connection gone bad, overheating, ... . New keyboard might work, rather tricky to fit though.

We have a nice cave network here.

Ah yes!!! Big Pit! Bin there.;)

OK... thanks Andy. I'll keep trying with the cleaning gel for now, and knocking the hell out of it:eek!: maybe they'll start working again!

Gosh! Indeed i must have, mustn't I. Don't remember hearing about them before though.

Not exactly accessible so it hasn't garnered much attention from the Press. It's only 20km deep and 70km long, hardly worthy of headlines 3:)

Limestone (where the caves/quarries are) + coal measures + iron ore, all within in a very small area, make for cheap iron/steel production; this attracted many entrepreneurs and engineers/scientists with ground-breaking ideas ;), eventually leading up to Blaenafon's Heritage status.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back