• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid BA 7x42 (1 Viewer)

The Leica have arrived. They are in excellent to mint condition. The view is very good. Bright, sharp and wide. Slightly warm cast I think. A bargain for £340!

The Leica have arrived. They are in excellent to mint condition. The view is very good. Bright, sharp and wide. Slightly warm cast I think. A bargain for £340!

And if you have a boat, the Leicas can be used as an anchor if the seas get stormy!

Only joking.
But they are a bit heavy!

Lee

I have both but I preferred the Zeiss, which had phase coating. Although the Leica is waterproof and more compact, there is is something about the Zeiss that made me favour it. It has a wider field of view, a larger sweet spot and I thought it had less edge fall off. I do not recall any problems with chromatic aberration with either.

Leica BAs were also phase coated. In addition to the already mentioned waterproofness (Zeiss Classics were not), Leicas, starting with the BAs, also had sliding eyecups, Hard Coatings on the lenses, central diopter adjustment, and a far more compact design. The Zeiss of that era went through eyecups pretty fast if you folded and unfolded them, for glasses/non glasses use. I also knew two people whose prisms, on an 8x30 and 7x42 Classic, turned black from oxidation. I've never seen that on a Leica.

The Leica BAs were our first glimpse at the modern high end binocular that we recognize today.

Leica BAs were also phase coated. In addition to the already mentioned waterproofness (Zeiss Classics were not), Leicas, starting with the BAs, also had sliding eyecups, Hard Coatings on the lenses, central diopter adjustment, and a far more compact design. The Zeiss of that era went through eyecups pretty fast if you folded and unfolded them, for glasses/non glasses use. I also knew two people whose prisms, on an 8x30 and 7x42 Classic, turned black from oxidation. I've never seen that on a Leica.

The Leica BAs were our first glimpse at the modern high end binocular that we recognize today.

Kevin

Your assertion that BAs were the first modern high-end binocular is not without merit and for years these, and then the BNs, were what you saw around many birders' neck in those times in the UK. Certainly Zeiss's Dialyt 7x42 was from an earlier era although the 10x40 was more modern. The BA was definitely the first aspirational bins, I mean the first one that a large part of the market wanted. I could use the word 'fashionable' with some justification but that would hint at something ephemeral, even trivial, which would not do the BA justice as it was an absolutely solid performer, in more ways than one.

However I think of both the BA and Dialyt 10x40 as being more transitional than ephochal. The BA because of it's weight and the Dialyt 10x40 as it was not really internal-focusing (and it ate eyecups like the 7x42). Both had optical performances that promised of things to come but I think the first truly modern high-end binocular was the original Swaro EL.

This really had everything going for it with competitive weight, excellent optics and handling all packaged in an external design as arresting as an Audi TT or Fender Stratocaster.

Lee

Last edited:
Kevin

Your assertion that BAs were the first modern high-end binocular is not without merit and for years these, and then the BNs, were what you saw around many birders' neck in those times in the UK. Certainly Zeiss's Dialyt 7x42 was from an earlier era although the 10x40 was more modern. The BA was definitely the first aspirational bins, I mean the first one that a large part of the market wanted. I could use the word 'fashionable' with some justification but that would hint at something ephemeral, even trivial, which would not do the BA justice as it was an absolutely solid performer, in more ways than one.

However I think of both the BA and Dialyt 10x40 as being more transitional than ephochal. The BA because of it's weight and the Dialyt 10x40 as it was not really internal-focusing (and it ate eyecups like the 7x42). Both had optical performances that promised of things to come but I think the first truly modern high-end binocular was the original Swaro EL.

This really had everything going for it with competitive weight, excellent optics and handling all packaged in an external design as arresting as an Audi TT or Fender Stratocaster.

Lee

I had my Trinovid BA's for fifteen years before I moved up to the UV line, and the only sign of age was a slight fading of the rubber armor, which may have been caused in part by being stored in a hot car, and occasionally getting sunblock on it. The weight wasn't that much of a factor, since I used my 8x32 when hiking. I would be curious to see what a 15 year old EL looks like. Also, I never liked the styling of the TT myself. Just sayin.

I had my Trinovid BA's for fifteen years before I moved up to the UV line, and the only sign of age was a slight fading of the rubber armor, which may have been caused in part by being stored in a hot car, and occasionally getting sunblock on it. The weight wasn't that much of a factor, since I used my 8x32 when hiking. I would be curious to see what a 15 year old EL looks like. Also, I never liked the styling of the TT myself. Just sayin.

Actually I was never a huge fan of the TT myself CF, but there is no doubt that many people were and it was so different and pure and true to its own principals.

You worked around the weight of yours by carrying an 8x32 when hiking, but looking back at the near 900 grams weight, that was really from the previous era.

If anybody has a 15 year old EL they would like to photo and post on here we would all love to see it.

Lee

I got my 8.5x42 EL when first released ~15 yrs ago and have used it heavily until recently. I would say that it looks as good as my Leica 8x32 BA (also used heavily over the same time period), which is to say nearly new apart from a subtle patina (I'll post a pic later when I get a chance). For the Swarovski, the main signs of wear are some polishing off of the black paint on metal edges around the hinge, and a slight gloss to the rubber armor (perhaps more to do with ArmorAll than age). Otherwise, the armor, which is the original, is fully attached and unworn. I use my bins a lot and don't use lens caps etc, but I generally don't have much issue with wear and tear with any of the quality brands. Frankly, I don't know how other people beat up their bins (and cameras) so much. Mostly, I follow four rules: (1) don't clean the glass except when really necessary or when I have time etc to do it right, (2) keep it on a neck strap (in front, over shoulder, or bandolier style) or otherwise set the bin down on a hat/shirt/bag etc rather than directly on a rock or other hard scratchy surface, (3) don't get DEET on the bin, and (4) treat the rubber bits with ArmorAll once a year or so.

--AP

Mostly, I follow four rules: (1) don't clean the glass except when really necessary or when I have time etc to do it right, (2) keep it on a neck strap (in front, over shoulder, or bandolier style) or otherwise set the bin down on a hat/shirt/bag etc rather than directly on a rock or other hard scratchy surface, (3) don't get DEET on the bin, and (4) treat the rubber bits with ArmorAll once a year or so.

--AP

Sounds like excellent advice Alex. I have seen more than a few beat-up bins in my time and like you I have asked myself 'How do they do that' and to this day I have no idea.

Lee

Kevin

Lee

I personally, would not lump either the Zeiss Classics with the Leica "Ultras" as the the new gen Leica bins were dubbed back then, nor would I use the Audi TT and Fender Strat in the same sentence.

With the exception of weight, or lack thereof, which apparently you value a good deal, the 1990 Leicas pretty much left everything else in the dust. They were, in practical terms, the first nitrogen purged, internal focus, waterproof bins. This and their hard lens coatings made them carefree to use as you willed. Come home from the beach and rinse them under the faucet. Their urethane armor was significantly more robust than anything else around. Their eyecups quickly made fold down types obsolete. Their oil-less focus worked anytime, all the time. With the exception of dielectric coatings on prisms, modern bins have no significant design elements that the 25 year old Leicas didn't have.

As to Audi TTs and Strats? Audi TTs are cool and an enduring design that some people get. The Fender Strat is one of, if not thee, most perfect industrial designs EVER! It's essentially remained unchanged for 60 something years and is still a drop dead classic. I own one and it is by far the most comfortable and versatile guitar I've ever played. Leo Fender was some kind of genius I believe.

Whew! B :)

I remember when the TT was introduced, the add said "You will look at it, and you will look at it, and you will want it." 2 outa 3 ain't bad huh?

Right on Kevin, regarding the historical significance of the BA. The optical design, as in ray trace, seems unchanged by Leica till this day. ED objectives have appeared, of the original focal length, also HT prisms with the original index, and better coatings throughout of course. I wonder, if I sent in a BA sadly missing all its optical elements due to a little "lion hunting accident", would Leica rebuild it as a hot rod BA/HD-HT? That would be the coolest binocular on the planet.

Ron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back