• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica September 4 2017 (1 Viewer)

Boris

Nice find! Since Trinovid HD is launched already this must surely be something new but how strange it wasn't launched at Bird Fair.

However their legend is the Trinovid so could it be a Trinovid UHD to replace Ultravid?

Lee

Looks to be a pocket binocular...maybe 25mm or even 30mm. Would be wonderful if it's the old classic body or has some aesthetic of the old design.

Looks to be a pocket binocular...maybe 25mm or even 30mm. Would be wonderful if it's the old classic body or has some aesthetic of the old design.

Yes it does but a 32mm Noctivid wouldn't be a returning legend. The two legends Leica has are:

The original Uppendahl Trinovid which Bob refers to and the BA/BN series that dominated the market before Swaro's EL came along.

Lee

Yes it does but a 32mm Noctivid wouldn't be a returning legend. The two legends Leica has are:

The original Uppendahl Trinovid which Bob refers to and the BA/BN series that dominated the market before Swaro's EL came along.

Lee

Yes, I know. It has nothing to do with the Noctivid. I never mentioned Noctivid in my post.

I'm aware it's a Trinovid (ad mentions this). I was speculating on the size since the ad mentions it's a pocket binocular.

Trinovid HD Blackline? Smaller Trinnie HD x30, x28, x25? Something in their BCA line? At least it's not months like some announcements.

Trinovid HD Blackline? Smaller Trinnie HD x30, x28, x25? Something in their BCA line? At least it's not months like some announcements.

You're probably correct and it's just an update of the last Trinovid BCA pocket which offered 8x20 and 10x25 or updated as "HD" to join the new HD Trinovid line.

But, the best case scenario IMO would be in the old classic body like in the video. I doubt it...but it would be really something to actually bring back the old Trinovid with new glass :t:

Lee

So perhaps compact, but still good in low light? Does sound a bit like a baby-Noctivid?
But #leicatrinovid suggest other I guess. A 7/8x35mm would be nice. Another pocket bin would be boring...
A rival to the 8x32 SV would be VERY interesting. Glare free and good eye relief, and still compact and <700 grams
it might be tempting.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/421836-uppendahl-prisms/

"Uppendahls should have greater light transmission than AK and SP prisms because the Uppendahls have only two air glass surfaces opposed to four on the others (I have never seen an AK or SP with cemented prisms reducing # air glass surfaces).
"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/8103365896/in/set-72157632281149716/lightbox/

Last edited:
Yes, I know. It has nothing to do with the Noctivid. I never mentioned Noctivid in my post.

I'm aware it's a Trinovid (ad mentions this). I was speculating on the size since the ad mentions it's a pocket binocular.

No you didn't but some folks are waiting for a Noctivid 32 and may have thought an announcement for a compact bin was sure to be this.

Lee

You're probably correct and it's just an update of the last Trinovid BCA pocket which offered 8x20 and 10x25 or updated as "HD" to join the new HD Trinovid line.

But, the best case scenario IMO would be in the old classic body like in the video. I doubt it...but it would be really something to actually bring back the old Trinovid with new glass :t:

"Optical Performance. Pocket Size. Experts’ Choice"

Looks more like return of a larger classic in the vid. The old Letiz Trinovids 8x40 weight less than 600 grams, and some versions seem to have a huge FOV.
Wonder how crazy this can be...:smoke:

"Those 1st generation Trinovids from 1958 had 170/1000m or 9.7 deg. RFoV (7x42) and 175/1000m or 10 deg. RFov (8x40) which equates indeed to round about 70 and 80 deg. AFoV."

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=244984&page=3

"Optical Performance. Pocket Size. Experts’ Choice"

Looks more like return of a larger classic in the vid. The old Letiz Trinovids 8x40 weight less than 600 grams, and some versions seem to have a huge FOV.
Wonder how crazy this can be...:smoke:

"Those 1st generation Trinovids from 1958 had 170/1000m or 9.7 deg. RFoV (7x42) and 175/1000m or 10 deg. RFov (8x40) which equates indeed to round about 70 and 80 deg. AFoV."

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=244984&page=3

I hope it's something smaller than 40mm. I'd love to have 6/7x 30mm or something like that.

Hopefully it's not some limited edition with ridiculous price tag.

I think it is unlikely a video like this would be used as a teaser for a normal 8x20-10x25 pocket binocular. Showing images like here raises expectations about something a little bigger but yet smaller than a typical 8x32. Interesting.

Kimmo

I think it is unlikely a video like this would be used as a teaser for a normal 8x20-10x25 pocket binocular. Showing images like here raises expectations about something a little bigger but yet smaller than a typical 8x32. Interesting.

Kimmo

Bringing back 7x35 maybe.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back