• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very odd black swan (1 Viewer)

Vinch

Vinch
Found in a dutch website (http://www.corotauria.nl/afbeeldingen/foto.php?ned=Zwarte Zwaan&soort=Zwarte Zwaan), please look at here three pics of a swan (specified as black swan - Cygnus atratus in the website).

In my opinion, this black swan would be a mute-black swan hybrid, because of following characters: bill coloration, nostrils placement, feather structure, eye coloration, general morphology.

Your opinion?

Attachments

• zwartezwaan01.jpg
    zwartezwaan01.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 508
  • zwartezwaan02.jpg
    zwartezwaan02.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 812
  • zwartezwaan03.jpg
    zwartezwaan03.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,771
Please find here two other exemples of black/mute swan hybrid... The mute swan involved might be a 'polish', because of the peculiar color of this hybrid.

Don't ask me the name of the website, I forgot to note it... Sorry!

Attachments

• Copie de 08.jpg
    Copie de 08.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,158
  • Copie de 07.jpg
    Copie de 07.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 657
Hi -

Vinch's second bird looks almost identical to one we saw last Christmas on the River Avon at Fordingbridge in Hampshire -- see pictures attached.

Our bird was seen on exactly the same spot that a black swan was seen associating with a mute in the previous May. Can't of course tell if these were the parents, but black swans are fairly frequent on the Avon, and mute are extremely plentiful summer and winter.

We saw the same or a very similar hybrid bird a mile or so downstream a few months later.

The first sighting posted on here at the time, but lost in the Great January Bird Forum Crash...

Richard

Attachments

• Grey swan 1.jpg
    Grey swan 1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 561
  • Grey swan 2.jpg
    Grey swan 2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Vinch said:
Is this hybrid fertile?

I forgot to ask it that...

Could well be, though. Inter-species barriers in birds are generally behavioural (or geographic) rather than physiological, and so back-crossing happens a lot. Don't know about swans though, especially as this is nowadays regarded as an intergeneric cross. Common amongst ducks, geese, finches, falcons, and pretty well anything else in captivity that gets the chance... It's the reason of course that the ruddy duck's such a threat to the white-headed.

I wonder about the first bird you posted. It's much less grey than your second and mine, so perhaps it could be the hybrid back-crossed to a black?

Alternatively it could be the opposite cross -- that might well look different, like mules and hinnies.

Or perhaps the greyer ones are juveniles.

Richard

Hi Vinch,definitely mute and black hybrid;:as for fertility I don´t know; but I would guess it is infertile...thtat´s just aguess of course,but Mute x trumpeter swan or mute x whooper swan are infertile as far as I know.

Hi Vinch, a question to the second pic in your second mail- this bird looks slightly strange for a mute x black swan due to the orange bill and the high rear end- therefore I am not fully sure if it is possible to rule out a domestic goose x black swan there? Unfortunately the photo isn´t clear enough on my monitor to give a definite answer to that (these features mentioned could also be due to the birds movement and due to the photo)- do you have more photos of that particular hybrid?

Black swan in captivity occasionally also hybridises with geese, attached is an article about a Black swan x Canada goose hybrid (Maybe you know that article already?)

Attachments

• black swan x canada goose.pdf
    123.4 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Surely!

In my second mail, I thought that the involved mute parent would be a
'polish morph' ('leucistic' mute swan, with lighter legs, knob, and white coloration of "swanlings") , because of speckled coloration, orange bill...

Attachments

• Copie de 01.jpg
    Copie de 01.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 295
  • Copie de 02.jpg
    Copie de 02.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 933
  • Copie de 03.jpg
    Copie de 03.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 749
  • Copie de 05.jpg
    Copie de 05.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 605
  • Copie de 09.jpg
    Copie de 09.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 385
Definitely Black x Mute then also for that one after the new photos...
but I doubt you can savely say the mute swan was the so called "Polish" morph, because hybrids are that much variable (Just think of hybrids Barnacle x barheaded goose and the variability in the distribution of white on their necks, for example).

Jörn

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back