• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suspected Blackbird Deaths (1 Viewer)

undefined
I am sorry to say, I have come across 4 Dead BlackBirds, 3 of which are within My Estate Of St Columb Minor, of which 2 of them seem to be a Pair(Male&Female Adults) and the other Male found about 600 yards down the road from the Pair and 1 Male in My Town of Newquay.

I have a photo of the Pair,
Also I heard about a breeding Pair that did not return to there usual spring breeding area, He found that unusual?

Bird Flu Maybe?

Attachments

• Dsc02569.jpg
    Dsc02569.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Dsc02570.jpg
    Dsc02570.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for the picture. |:(|
Have you reported them becuase it could be bird flu which i doubt but who knows. A bird could have migrated to the uk then passed the disease to the blackbirds. That would be disastarous for the birds it would wipe out some species such as partridges and maybe even the corncrake which is rare.

Doesn't look as if they've just laid down and died. At bottom of photo there's some detached feathers - maybe a cat?

Sandra
:cat: :cat:

Also, bird flu is quite rare in songbirds,they are not that receptive to it, as far as I know, whereas waterfowl (Swans,Ducks and geese), wildfowl (pheasants, turkey,etc)and some other groups are highly sensitive to bird flu.

I have had 2 blackbirds die in the garden over the past month. One definitely seemed unwell but the other one just died underneath the feeders.

I moved the feeders and disinfectanted the area, no more have died or looked unwell.

Bridie

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back