• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoped image vs DSLR image (1 Viewer)

Neil

I was able to photograph the same bird in the same place with the two competing technologies. First I used the Nikon D2x plus Nikon 300/f4 AFS lens and the next day I went back with my digsicoping rig. The D2x was from about 3 metres (in a camouflage tent ) on a tripod using a whimberly head. The scoped image was from about 7 metres behind a drapped piece of camouflaged material to obscure my hand and head movements. The light was shaded on both days. Interestingly I used both systems in a similar way . As the bird only stayed on the perch for a few seconds I set Manual Exposure and pre-focused on the branch. The 5 frame sequence of the CP8400 was enough to get the "keeper" image. I didn't have my remote for the D2x so I had to keep my hand on the camera. The noise of the D2x alerted other birds in the area and the male Magpie Robin and Chinese Bulbuls disappeared immediately. With the CP8400 on silent running the birds weren't disturbed.
See if you can pick which image is which. Neil.

Attachments

• red flanked bluetail.fem_DSC0246.jpg
    red flanked bluetail.fem_DSC0246.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 490
  • red-flanked bluetail.femDSCN8263.jpg
    red-flanked bluetail.femDSCN8263.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 501
Neil said:
I was able to photograph the same bird in the same place with the two competing technologies. First I used the Nikon D2x plus Nikon 300/f4 AFS lens and the next day I went back with my digsicoping rig. The D2x was from about 3 metres (in a camouflage tent ) on a tripod using a whimberly head. The scoped image was from about 7 metres behind a drapped piece of camouflaged material to obscure my hand and head movements. The light was shaded on both days. Interestingly I used both systems in a similar way . As the bird only stayed on the perch for a few seconds I set Manual Exposure and pre-focused on the branch. The 5 frame sequence of the CP8400 was enough to get the "keeper" image. I didn't have my remote for the D2x so I had to keep my hand on the camera. The noise of the D2x alerted other birds in the area and the male Magpie Robin and Chinese Bulbuls disappeared immediately. With the CP8400 on silent running the birds weren't disturbed.
See if you can pick which image is which. Neil.
Hi Neil

Lovely images that capture the birds emotion

At a guess I think the 1st is DSLR

Again, though just loved looking at both pics.

Hmm Not sure, but I think no1 is the DSLR and 2 Digiscoped.
A great comparison, very little difference, I reckon no 1 has slightly more depth of field.

Is Ray ok as have not seen any posts from him since before christmas

Malc

Both are superb, first seems to have the edge and slightly more depth so DSLR also gets my vote. Interesting to be able to compare, many thanks.

Stewart

First up I would say there is very little difference between the two, and the DOF is misleading because of the difference in bird possition on the branch. So I will also be different and go against everyone else and say No2. Ernie

I'd agree with most others that the first one looks like it's the dslr shot. Both are excellent shots.

Feathered one said:
Hmm Not sure, but I think no1 is the DSLR and 2 Digiscoped.
A great comparison, very little difference, I reckon no 1 has slightly more depth of field.

Is Ray ok as have not seen any posts from him since before christmas

Malc

Merry Christmas Malcolm !
I am always here looking for new things and new ideas on birding and also beside your F30's bird photo album.

For the 2 from Neil, really no differences, I would pick no.1 DSLR and no.2 DC as pictures by DC are more colorful.

I'm sorry to leave you in suspense on this one. The photo on the left is with the DSLR (Nikon D2x plus 300/f4 AFS lens ) and the one on the right with a Nikon CP8400 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece. The adjustment in CS2 was the same. This is another digiscoped image of the same bird and you can see the shallow DOF. Bear in mind that I'm twice the distance for the digiscoped image ( 3m v 6m ). Just for interest I was using a Whimberly for the D2x image but a ballhead for the digiscoped image. I wouldn't expect this to make any difference. I didn't use a remote for either image. Neil.

Attachments

• red-flanked bluetail.femDSCN8355.jpg
    red-flanked bluetail.femDSCN8355.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 288
Thank you Neil

It ceases to amaze me how good an image the 8400 gives.
It also gives credit to your fieldcraft and patience to be able to get so near to the birds.

Your hard drives must be nearly full to the brim with keepers.
Superb, well done :clap:

Malc

Malc,
You're not wrong. I archive about 10 gigs a month of images I just can't bear to throw away. I burn them to DVD as my iMac 160 gig hard drive was almost full after 12 months. I didn't have this problem with the CP4500 . Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back