• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

Live update 16 green sand 3 common sand 2 dunlin on the deck 9 dunlin flying through 2 common tern ross.s goose 7 snipe approx 90 lapwing 7 avos 17 curlew 1 oyc 6 lrp 6 humans

Live update 16 green sand 3 common sand 2 dunlin on the deck 9 dunlin flying through 2 common tern ross.s goose 7 snipe approx 90 lapwing 7 avos 17 curlew 1 oyc 6 lrp 6 humans

Hi Vern - is that across the reserve or just at the Flashes? No other small waders eg Sanderling mixed in with the fly-through Dunlin flock?

Autumn All-Day Birdwatch

Its that time of year again when the nights have already started to draw in and thoughts turn return passage, departing summer migrants and Upton Warren's Autumn All-Day Birdwatch. Whilst lacking the intensity and air of expectation of its Spring counter-part, the number and variety of species is still impressive (I am sure Mike will post some stats closer to the time). With a fair (easterly) wind and some lingering summer visitors 85 species should be achievable.

This year I am proposing the event is held on Saturday 7th September unless a significant number of people cant make it, in which case I will move it forward to the 31st August. Please let me know your thoughts.

Steve N / Geoff W - as always the invitation is open to Belvide and Middleton Lakes to join us in a celebration of what land-lock sites in the middle of the country can produce.

Last edited:
Its that time of year again when the nights have already started to draw in and thoughts turn return passage, departing summer migrants and Upton Warren's Autumn All-Day Birdwatch. Whilst lacking the intensity and air of expectation of its Spring counter-part, the number and variety of species is still impressive (I am sure Mike will post some stats closer to the time). With a fair (easterly) wind and some lingering summer visitors 85 species should be achievable.

This year I am proposing the event is held on Saturday 7th September unless a significant number of people cant make it, in which case I will move it forward to the 31st August. Please let me know your thoughts.

Steve N / Geoff W - as always the invitation is open to Belvide and Middleton Lakes to join us in a celebration of what land-lock sites in the middle of the country can produce.
I'll mention it to the RSPB and the local birders, not sure if I'll be in Lincs. then.
Incidentally, at my local patch here in Lincs, Manby Flashes (I named it after Upton Warren Flashes) we have up to 35 Green Sands at the moment, what is the best count at Upton Warren over the years?
Geoff

Popped in to the Flashes while S.W.M.B.O. was at Webbs.....only had 1 and 1/2 hours...read about the Cuckoo Baby and wanted to see him.....tried in Hen Hide and managed just reeds......so carried on to the Flashes.
As some may know I cannot hear most bird calls and nearly always forget the Aids so even if he was calling I did not know.

Still spent a good hour watching the comings/goings and feedings from the hide.
Just love the Avocet youngsters (better than the adults) and spent a lot of the time watching them as them were always on the go.
Others I spotted were Ringed Plover...Common Sandpiper ....5 Curlew flew in....multi coloured Lapwings....Green Sandpipers (or were they Greenshank..well the shanks were Green)......usual Gulls including a Juve with broken Wing.....Goldfinch...Linnet.

On the way back I was in a hurry....late for Webbs pick up.....but got "ambushed" by the resident Brown Hawker under the Multi trunked willow by the 1st hide back....he was buzzing me ,coming within a foot of my face.....bet he's never seen anything that ugly though....eventually after about 5 mins and me trying to convince him I was O.K. he landed in amongst the bushes.

Thought that was it but no.....3 people had just stopped by the Hen Hide and one (forgot his name -again- but he's the chap at Bittell everyday in the winter) was pointing out a spot in the trees...I asked what but knew what it would be...The baby Cuckoo.All 4 of us could not really pin point it although the "parents" were busy in and out of the tree.....until the lady with the foreign accent said there he is and he promptly flew across a short opening into the next lot of bushes. oh well at least my mission was accomplished ...a sighting.

All through my visit it was bright over the flashes with thunderstorms over Webbs and probably Moors areas...the sky was still decidedly evil at the Sailing pool as I passed...very Quickly ...really late now.

Keith :t:

1-3 The Star turns...
4-5 Some of the Curlew.

Attachments

• Canon 166 009 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 009 A.jpg low.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Canon 166 126.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 126.jpg low.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Canon 166 059.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 059.jpg low.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 70
  • Canon 166 186.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 186.jpg low.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Canon 166 197.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 197.jpg low.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
And some more.....

1...Sandpipers
2....Green Sandpiper
3...Lapwing
4...Brown Hawker
5...Evil Sky....on phone.

Attachments

• Canon 166 099.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 099.jpg low.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Canon 166 074.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 074.jpg low.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Canon 166 157.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 157.jpg low.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Canon 166 223.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 223.jpg low.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20130729_154501 B low.jpg
    20130729_154501 B low.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I'll mention it to the RSPB and the local birders, not sure if I'll be in Lincs. then.
Incidentally, at my local patch here in Lincs, Manby Flashes (I named it after Upton Warren Flashes) we have up to 35 Green Sands at the moment, what is the best count at Upton Warren over the years?
Geoff

Hi Geoff - a peak count of 31 Green Sands was present on the 19th August 2001 (thirty at the Flashes, one at the Moors Pool), a record count for Worcestershire.

I understand that the West Midlands regional record is 34 that were at Brandon Marsh, Warwicks in July 1993.

Last edited:
Moth Trapping At Upton Warren.

I am joining Dave Grundy in a moth trapping session at Upton Warren tomorrow evening. We will be setting up along the Moors Pool causeway at about 20.30. The target species are Uptons' rarer Wainscots. Please feel free to come along and join in.

JS

Good luck tonight John and all who join you. Let us know what you find and also if you encounter any owls (or singing crakes ...)

Flashes this morning. Adult Cuckoo flew over Sailing pool and then seen again along track. Juv Cuckoo still calling. Little Owl on usual chimney. 2 Dunlin, 7 Avocet. Can only find 3 LRP. 2 Common and 7 Green Sandpiper.

Hi Keith - I suspect they were Little Ringed Plovers you encountered at the Flashes yesterday

HE HE HE...how come you can tell and I was the one there.....lol

I took a couple of snaps.....only had camera- no bins-and no book, so was looking at the chart in the hide..
Looks like I looked at the crap shot I took as it had its head half hidden BUT have just gone through the pics again and found a better one ...and armed with the Shell Guide 1983 it is a Little Ringed...but more importantly I found 2 DUNLIN hiding on the Island as well.

Also reading the comments from today where Gertatron mentioned the Cuckoo flying over the Sailing Pool it reminded me when we were trying to spot the young one I swore I saw an adult fly from the activity area over the Hen pool.

Keith

Attachments

• Canon 166 203.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 166 203.jpg low.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 93
Update from the Moors.
Little egret. Common sand. Teal 3. Swift c100 moving south.
Tufted 18th brood .of 5 chicks. There are a total 100+ tufted chicks . GCg 6+ 3 chicks. Little grebe 4 broods. common tern 4 broods

Great news on the tufted ducks also nice to know the GCG chicks are doing well also the little grebe's seem to have had a great year too.

What a difference from last years wet summer.

Phil have you got any counts for all the wildfowl chicks from 2012 so we can compare with this years counts

A great result this year and thank you to everyone for all their hard work, what a result for you all you should all be proud thank you again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back