• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

protection for birds (1 Viewer)

wullie

Correct me if i am wrong but i always thought that it was the job of the rspb to protect birds.
I was at my Local reserve today and i was really disapointed in what i saw the reserve was unmaned and there were kids running around there were people in the car park letting off fireworks which were scaring the birds . The reserve was wide open. to all the idiots of the day.
i thought this was a dicgrace.

I know that these organisations are short of cash but surely the can afford to put a ranger on the site there used to be one years ago.

Well thats me had my maon

And a rightful moan it was too, Wullie!

What's worse, they're putting up the cost of membership AGAIN next year.

I think the RSPB do have the money, but where's it all going? Lining the pockets of the fat-cats just like National Lottery money, I wouldn't be surprised.

:-C

Hi Ralph/Wullie

I guess the money is going to pay salaries of the staff, to buy yet more goods to sell in shops and to open yet more RSPB eating houses. They are trying to turn birders into big softies. What happened to the days when you packed up a flask and a cheese doorstep sandwich. Seems a visit to an RSPB reserve these days has to be shopping and eating.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a survey to see how many visitors actually never venture onto the reserve proper?

burhinus

Good point bur but i don`t see why just becouse barons haugh is not as big as some of there other resevres they cant put a ranger on it.

even a small cafe at the top of the car park would probaly work.

Jeff

And therein lies the problem. Not enough volunteers around to do the necessary work required for these sites.

The RSPB are a necessary evil in the world of birds but lets not forget the role of the local RSPB member clubs. The local RSPB club in your area, if you have one, should be the focal point in looking after this site. Is there the interest, well only the birders in that area can answer that.

Alongside the RSPB are the local organisations. These tend to be well organised in my opinion and nuture volunteers in a better way. I know that all the sites around my area, that are under a club control, are always maintained and patrolled in some way as well as usually having some one there to pass on any advice to would be, or inexperienced, birders.

In the end though none of these clubs have the muscle power of the RSPB and politically we can't do without them. Remove them from the equation and I feel the guardians of our birds in general will be lost.

Regards
John J

I feel I must stand up a bit for the RSPB here, I mean it's a first step that the site is designated, if it wasn't then it may well be a prime candidate for development.
There must be absolutely masses of these reserves accross the country and to staff all of them 24hrs a day would cost a fortune. Even with volunteers it would cost money as an insurance has to be paid has to be paid for every one.
A chap on another newsgroup has just told me that he's been quoted a cost of £300 to a £1000 per volunteer per year!
The RSPB does an awful lot of good work and is a major stength in buying up of land to keep it safe from development.
I know a lot of reserves are getting very cosy and comfortable but this is to open up the hobby to the elderly and the disabled who might not otherwise get good access to sites.
Yes there are bad influences from people on reserves but I don't see that other than fencing in reserves and restricting access that there's anything the RSPB can do. Even if this was undertaken then you have problems for birders who want to be there at dawn or dusk.
Plus it was running about in woods as a kid that stimulated my interest in wildlife in the first place, my parents ensured that I didn't do too much damage and perhaps therein lies the responsibility.
Gill

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back