• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Diego: Townsend's Solitaire or W. Bluebird? (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
I see why you would say that, but in my recollection this bird was a little too large for Junco. I could be wrong, though. Also, wouldn't the bill be pink on a juv. Junco? Here are two more (terrible) pictures of the same individual. Maybe this helps:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5152/img0400crsmu9.jpg

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3333/img0402crsbx0.jpg

EDIT: On second thought, the bill shape does seem wrong for Townsend's.

It's definitely not a Townsend's Solitaire.

In the last photo I think I can see a pinkish tone to the bill. The size looks good for Dark-eyed Junco (IMO).

Last edited:
Before any responses were posted, I decided juvenile Dark-eyed Junco was the best match I could find based on the first photo, but was also puzzled by the dark bill. (Townsend's Solitaire should have a tail with a dark underside, while the first photo showed a bird with a light colored tail. I also think it might be out of range at this time of year at that location. In any event, the subsequent photos clearly rule out Townsend's Solitaire by bill shape.)

I think Falcon may be right and that the bill might be somewhat unusually dark due to the shade, and perhaps just this individual. I am attaching an enhanced photo which shows the bill to be somewhat lighter, though not quite as light as one would expect on a juvenile Junco.

Best,
Jim

Attachments

• img0402crsbx0.jpg
    img0402crsbx0.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Like Falcon my very first thought was "young Junco", in the last image with bill in profile, I'm certain of it! The bill shape is classic junco shape - conical and not thrush like at all. Soft part coloration variation is extreme so I personally wouldn't be worried about the apparent wrong color here (although I seem to recall juv juncos showing darker bills more often than not anyway).

Best,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL USA

I think it's a young Dark-Eyed Junco, very common on Palomar Mountain. Western Bluebirds are also present but they have thinner bills. To the best of my knowledge, Townsend's Solitaire does not breed on Palomar Mountain.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back