• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South African Lark and Cisticola (1 Viewer)

Dave Kennedy

Any comments on these two would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• 5-Lark.jpg
    5-Lark.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 4-cisticola.jpg
    4-cisticola.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 64
where were they Dave? first impression's Rufous-naped lark and Desert Cisticola, but could easily be wrong

Thanks, Larry - the birds were photographed in Phinda Resource Reserve, south of Mkhuze Game reserve and west of Lake St Lucia, in Kwa-Zulu Natal. Habitat was savannah grassland, relatively lush and non-arid. Essentially the low-altitude coastal strip between the coastal dunes and the N-S trending Lebombo mountains.
I agree with Rufous-naped lark - for the other bird I also considered Desert Cisticola, but distribution and habitat were not ideal for that species. Date was mid-winter (July), so not in breeding plumage. I also considered Cloud, Wing-snapping and Pale-crowned Cisticolas. Sadly, the photo is not the best.
Best wishes,
Dave

- for the other bird I also considered Desert Cisticola, but distribution and habitat were not ideal for that species. Date was mid-winter (July), so not in breeding plumage. I also considered Cloud, Wing-snapping and Pale-crowned Cisticolas. Sadly, the photo is not the best.
Best wishes,
Dave

or even possibly a washed out Zitting? I think we'll be lucky to get to the bottom of that one.

Yes that cisticola will have to remain unidentified I am afraid, but it's a small species (Zitting, Desert, etc...being the contenders indeed).

Agree with Larry on the lark.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back