• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Two days birding in the north of the island gave some good sightings, while also giving the opportunity to visit several sites which I have heard much about, but not visited before. Yesterday we visited Son Real, and recorded Fieldfare, Hawfinch (up to 4 female-types, plus a stonking male), 8 Common Crossbills, including a distinctive ´wing-barred´male and various other interesting pool visitors. A walk along the coastline here also saw several singing and displaying Balearic and Sardinian Warblers, as well as the much talked-about Razorbill which showed very well feeding just off the beach. Four Sandwich Terns were present here also. The evening was spent watching the impressive starling roost from the tower of Cami de S´Amarador. While no dramatic shapes were made, the sheer number of birds (I estimated a minimum of 2,000,000, but there is likely more) couldn´t fail to impress. Two Merlins, 2 Hen Harriers and plenty of Marsh Harriers made up the evening.

Today was spent primarily at S´Albufera, where the variety was, as always, impressive. Highlights from here included 3 Wood Sandpipers, Woodcock, Little Bittern, 3 Great White Egrets, 3 or 4 Moustached Warblers and a White Stork over Platja de Moro, while a mammal highlight was a Weasel which shot across the path while we were watching sky-dancing Marsh Harriers and 7 Common Cranes overhead. A final evening watch from the new tower at Albufereta produced around 35 Flamingos and 10 Night Herons coming to feed as the light dropped. Cracking sunset from here over the mountains, it has to be said!

Attachments

• IMG_9371_crop.jpg
    IMG_9371_crop.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9397_edit.jpg
    IMG_9397_edit.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9614_edit.jpg
    IMG_9614_edit.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9635_edit.jpg
    IMG_9635_edit.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9699_edit.jpg
    IMG_9699_edit.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
And a few more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_9796_edit.jpg
    IMG_9796_edit.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9822_edit.jpg
    IMG_9822_edit.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9839_edit.jpg
    IMG_9839_edit.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 64
Two days birding in the north of the island gave some good sightings, while also giving the opportunity to visit several sites which I have heard much about, but not visited before. Yesterday we visited Son Real, and recorded Fieldfare, Hawfinch (up to 4 female-types, plus a stonking male), 8 Common Crossbills, including a distinctive ´wing-barred´male and various other interesting pool visitors. A walk along the coastline here also saw several singing and displaying Balearic and Sardinian Warblers, as well as the much talked-about Razorbill which showed very well feeding just off the beach. Four Sandwich Terns were present here also. The evening was spent watching the impressive starling roost from the tower of Cami de S´Amarador. While no dramatic shapes were made, the sheer number of birds (I estimated a minimum of 2,000,000, but there is likely more) couldn´t fail to impress. Two Merlins, 2 Hen Harriers and plenty of Marsh Harriers made up the evening.

Awesome!!!

Great photos

La Gola Port Pollensa

Reopened at last and worth the wait.

Wonderful exhibitions and guidance where to watch birds in Mallorca.

Birds seen around the site today included:

Great And Little Egrets
Grey Heron
Sandwich Tern
Common Sandpiper
Kingfisher
Grey Wagtail

Attachments

• DSC_0965 (1024x682).jpg
    DSC_0965 (1024x682).jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 46
Pas Del Pescadors

Evening walk (17.00) along the Pas Del Pescadors Near Cala san Vincente

Great walk and wonderful scenary.

Sardinia and Balearic Warblers, Blue Rock Thrush, Booted Eagle and first Swallow of the year!!!

Mike

Evening walk to Albuferata ( North side )

Birds seen included Marsh Harrier, Kestrals, Great and Little Egrets, Crag Martins, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, water pipits, Little Grebes, Gold and Greenfinches, Chiffchaffs, fan tailed warblers and stonechats by the hundreds.

I can recommend a walk to the Castle at Alaró, it's a long way but the scenery is breathtaking and the reward at the top is close views of five Alpine Accentors. Mike

The Alpine Accentors are always in the same place, feeding on the rocks or on top of the wall which is just before the Castle on the left hand side. It is possible to get very close views and good photo opportunities too. Mike

Last edited:
Quiet Day in Albufera

Peaceful

Birds seen inluded Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Kestrals, Black Winged Stints, Green shank, Spotted Redshank, Kingfisher, Kentish Plovers.

Mike, no sound or sign of moustached warblers...when do they start calling?

Hi Mike, I have seen Moustached Warbler this year under the new wooden bridge near the mound. It was not singing but it showed very well. They are abundant at s'Albufera but I don't go there enough to know when they begin to sing. Soon I hope! Mike

Thanks Ben Nevis. I only have a weedy bridge camera but I hope to buy a decent one someday. The Accentors flatter because they are not shy, one came within a few feet. Mike

Martin is this Holy Blue?
Very early ...seen in Albufera
Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike
Yes, this is Holly Blue. I don't recall seeing one during my one visit to the island in late February/March, so I'm not sure about the local flight period. I'll try to find out as it probably is an early record - but then it's been a funny year so far (even here in the UK). The earliest record of one in our moth trap is 6 May.
Best wishes
Martin

Philip saw a Long-tailed blue also last week so perhaps that was an early record too. It really has been an amazing year for butterflies with so many species being seen. Mike

A few Barn Swallows and a couple of House Martins are in so migration is under way. A few more will trickle through before the main event gets going and we all meet at the tower at Albercutx. It is huge fun with a great variety of raptors coming through Mallorca. Hope to see some of you there. Mike

Hi Mike
Yes, this is Holly Blue. I don't recall seeing one during my one visit to the island in late February/March, so I'm not sure about the local flight period. I'll try to find out as it probably is an early record - but then it's been a funny year so far (even here in the UK). The earliest record of one in our moth trap is 6 May.
Best wishes
Martin

Cheers Martin..I understand the flight period is from April..that really surprised me

Seen in Albufera

Thanks again

Mike

A good day

A good trip to Maristany and Son Real

Birds seen included the Black necked Grebe at Maristany and the Hawfinch at Son Real

Mike, i went around Es Blanquer region. So many Kestrals and Corn Buntings.

When is the best time for visiting?

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back