• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

As the Laughing Dove was walking on the pavement on a busy road in Santa Ponca, I think we can safely assume it's of captive origin. I am not sure what their favoured habitat is but I am certain it's not main roads! Shame. Mike

Mike, as they say in pantos at this time of year "Oh yes it is!" (photo taken on the pavement of the busy Corniche in Beirut)

Attachments

• fz Laughing Dove Dec.JPG
    fz Laughing Dove Dec.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Richard, that's really helpful. Trouble is, it is very hard to determine its origin. I guess it will be hard to get it accepted but it's good to know they like pavements! Mike.

Merry Christmas to all readers and contributors to this thread, it makes it all worthwhile when I read your posts, so thanks everyone, have a great holiday and I will begin a new thread on January 1st when a new Bigyear begins. There have been some super birds here recently so let's hope next year continues in the same fashion. All the very best, Mike

A Merry Christmas to you Mike and all the contributors on this Thread, plus special thank you to you Mike for all the information and assistance that you give so well and willingly.

best regards

Merlin

Merry Xmas to all

Merry Christmas to all readers and contributors to this thread, it makes it all worthwhile when I read your posts, so thanks everyone, have a great holiday and I will begin a new thread on January 1st when a new Bigyear begins. There have been some super birds here recently so let's hope next year continues in the same fashion. All the very best, Mike

Have a great one and a good slide into the new year.

Looking forward to the Big Year 2017

Mike

Best wishes to you all for Christmas and the New Year.
Happy Birding
Martin (from a very windy and wet Scotland - watching
Goosander and skeins of Barnacle Geese on the River Nith)

Same here Martin in Carlisle, wet and windy with Goosander and skeins of geese. Looking forward to getting back to Mallorca. The Black-throated diver is still at Andratx port. Mike

Merry Xmas to all on this great thread.

I have seen Laughing Doves in Turkey, generally in built up areas, a bit like Collared Doves. No surprise seeing them on pavements.

Sounds very nice Pep. In view of the comments on here, I hope the Laughing Dove will be considered as a genuine vagrant.
Molts d'Anys Pep! Thanks for all your help on this thread and for putting me right a few times! Local knowledge is very valuable. Mike

The black-throated loon (in Majorca has a white throat) is one of the most friendly birds I have ever seen, it is still present at Port d'Andratx, I upload some nice picture, one of them with the bird almost crossing under me, at the little bridge in the Port d'Andratx

Attachments

• 218_CalabriaAgulla800.jpg
    218_CalabriaAgulla800.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 37
  • CalabriaFace800.jpg
    CalabriaFace800.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 18
  • ColimboProp800.jpg
    ColimboProp800.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 23
  • SubCalabria800.jpg
    SubCalabria800.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 32
Very nice, here in the Uk they too are fearless when in the harbours. too busy feeding to worry about humans it seems.

The black-throated loon (in Majorca has a white throat) is one of the most friendly birds I have ever seen, it is still present at Port d'Andratx, I upload some nice picture, one of them with the bird almost crossing under me, at the little bridge in the Port d'Andratx

I spent a couple hours at S'Albufera yesterday, both Sa Roca and Es Cibollar 1.
The water level is quite high, the sluices at the Gran Canal were open and gushing out some serious current. On the way in, along the Gran Canal were 17 Night Herons including two jueveniles.
Both hides had Mallards, Shovelers, Teals, BW Stilts, plus a handful of Lapwings and Cormorants. Sa Roca still has 3 Greylag Geese and 2 Common Snipes. At Es Cibollar, were 6 Marbled Ducks and about 15 or so Shelducks, and a single Avocet, plus a redshank wading his way through the sleeping ducks crowding what is left of land. A couple Grey Herons and Great Egrets on the wing.
A quick dash at the tower in Albufereta showed about 60 Great Flamingos, several Great and Little Egrets, two Ospreys sitting on posts and 5 Marsh Harriers overhead along with a single light-morph Booted Eagle.
Best wishes for the New Year to all.

I hope my first attempt at loading pictures works.

Attachments

• EsCibollar1.jpg
    EsCibollar1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Snipe.jpg
    Snipe.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Lapwing.jpg
    Lapwing.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 14
  • NightHeron.jpg
    NightHeron.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 21
Nice photos Patrick, thanks for posting. I particularly like the one of the marsh, very tranquil. Some nice birds there too, many birders want to know about Marbled duck so that's helpful to know where they are at the moment, Mike

Just to follow up the question from Surry_Ed about arrival dates of Sub-Alpine and Moltoni's warblers, I wasn't far off. First dates for Sub-Alpine seem to be around 26th March and Moltoni's about 11th April.
Sub-Alpine pass through the Island whereas Moltoni's stay to breed in small numbers in the mountains.
The best known site is Cuber Reservoir where they can be seen half way down the path from the car park on either side. Also seen near the dam later in the year with young. Hope this helps. Mike

A White Stork has been seen today at Son Ferriol near the airport. There is usually one overwintering on the island somewhere, last year there was an example near Campos. Last chance to get it on the year list before it all begins again. Mike

A few interesting sightings from monday and tuesday. I was late applying for permission into the Ternelles Valley, which meant a quick change of plan and a visit instead into Mortitx. A couple of hours produced eleven Black Vultures in the air at once, and several further sightings suggesting at least 15 in the area, plus a few Griffon Vultures (perhaps six). A pair of Bonelli's Eagles were the highlight here though, being mobbed by Ravens. A trip later to see the roost at S'amarador, near s'albufera. The starlings were impressive as always, and must have easily numbered over 1,000,000 birds. Additionally Marsh Harriers numbered around 20, and a ringtail Hen Harrier also arrived. Two Tree Sparrows were also noted.

Tuesday was initially spent at S'Algar near Porto Colom, and produced the usual good numbers of Balearic Warblers and around three Dartford Warblers, plus plenty of Thekla Larks, a Blue Rock Thrush and fly-over Peregrine, plus an offshore Gannet. A later visit to Salobrar de Campos produced the usual variety of wetland species (perhaps as many as 100 Flamingos here) plus five Black-necked Grebes. Finally an evening stop at the wetlands along Cami de Son Vall's produced an impressive roost of around 150 Cattle Egrets and large numbers of Corn Buntings heading over to roost.

Attachments

• 1C0A2134_crop.jpg
    1C0A2134_crop.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 1C0A2098_crop.jpg
    1C0A2098_crop.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 1C0A2171_crop.jpg
    1C0A2171_crop.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back