• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help id buzzard xinjiang china (1 Viewer)

Both look like Eastern Buzzard. Although that first bird looks very light - it doesn't have the long-winged look of Rough-legged.
I suppose in Xinjiang, Eastern Buzzard is really way out west!!!!

Last edited:
I think with the colour being that white, you almost have to go with Rough-legged. It matches the markings in Brazil and McKinnon for Rough-legged. Looks like it was turning so maybe wing shape is not a good ID feature on this pic?

The second one looks very much like Upland Buzzard IMO.

Tom

I think with that first pic we've got a little over-exposure, withsunlight hitting it directly head on, that makes the bird - especially on its crown seem paler than it really is.
Here's one of my pics of Eastern Buzzard from yesterday - matches up quite nicely to query bird.

Attachments

• Eastern buzzard.jpg
    Eastern buzzard.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Agree with the first image, an Eastern Buzzard japonicus

The dark phase bird looks very similar to these dark phase Upland and for me, the shape is awkward from OP shot but these two, scroll down - http://www.birdskorea.org/News/Members_updates/BK-MU-2009-01.shtml and http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=44&Bird_ID=901&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1 are similar.
The tail band on the second bird appears too broad and obvious though, which I think Upland rarely shows? Sid? therefore I guess indicating a dark phase Eastern Buzzard.

That tail band is confusing!!!
To tell the truth most of the Upland Buzzard we see are either perched on a pole or standing outside a Pika hole - we don't spend that much time observing soaring birds - ever seeing one with a tail band isn't something that rings a bell with me.

When we do need to ID a flying bird we get our conclusive tick from those "white-windows" on the primaries - which can be also seen on the upper wing. It would be interesting if Xujie had more pictures of that second bird where we could see a bit of the outer upper wing - since a big patch of white, or not, in that area would really help with identification.

Another Buzzard, surely found in Xinjiang, that has a dark-phase and a bit of tail band - is vulpinus.

Last edited:
I know what you mean by the "white windows" More pictures would help. Here's a shot of the white on top of the wing.

Attachments

• Upland Buzzard 49.jpg
    Upland Buzzard 49.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back