• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biggest WOW binoculars you have ever looked through? (1 Viewer)

The big "wows" come when I look through something and get a lot more than what I was expecting. Certainly our 10x50 SV is the best bino we own, but I didn't get a wow as I had certain expectations before I even looked through it for the first time. Same with our 8x32 SV, our Canon 10x42L, and a whole host of others. All excellent -- as expected.

The biggest "wow" I've had so far was when I got a used 8x32 Nikon SE. I was *not* expecting that......

The biggest WOW was from the owner of an Ultravid 10x50 when looking through that "cheap Nikon porro"... he wanted to get a pair too then and I wished him good luck.

When I got it, I knew I was in for a treat, so the WOW was a bit more muted.

Joachim

What is the biggest WOW binoculars you have ever looked through? For me it is the Swarovski 10x50 SV and the Canon 10x42 IS-L.

Swarovski SLC 56's [HD glass combined with abbe koenig prisms and giant 56 mm objectives]

Low light performance is best I've seen, image is practically chroma free and the resolution is as good as it gets.

Binocular Objectives: 42mm, 50mm and 56mm

Attachments

• image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
The biggest WOW was from the owner of an Ultravid 10x50 when looking through that "cheap Nikon porro"... he wanted to get a pair too then and I wished him good luck.

When I got it, I knew I was in for a treat, so the WOW was a bit more muted.

Joachim
What cheap Nikon Porro? SE or EII?

To date: the Zeiss SF 10x42 for me, huge field of view and bright....they have added 10 quality minutes to my evening sits.

My original WOW was at the local Gander Mountain parking lot a couple of years ago. I had been looking through the EL 10X42 SV inside the store and was not particularly bowled over by them. With a little coaxing I was outside looking through them in beautiful conditions, that was definitely a WOW!!!! moment. Since then I've either owned or seen various configurations of the SV, SF, HT, FL, SE, and while there has been plenty of WOW with all of them, that first time in the parking lot hooked me on Alpha optics for ever. For pure WOW, the 10X50 SV and 10X42 HT are the two, both for different reasons. IMO |=)|

Biggest wow for me was looking through the Swift 820ED Audubon at the Land, Sea and Sky store. The resolution, clarity and depth of view of the porro was astounding and I have never seen through such a good pair before. That really started my love of binoculars and led me to BF. Every bin after that including SV, SF, UVHD and EII have only provided moderate levels of excitement if any at all.

Last edited:
The EL 10x50 SV's! :t:

In the past year and a half, no other binos have created that WOW you-are-there view (10x50's still do it for me), till the recently acquired FL 7x42's. It must be the larger EP that relaxes my vision and I'm able to get an immediate sight picture that is very comfortable, natural and at times, breathtaking...WOW!! :cool:

Ted

The EL 10x50 SV's! :t:

In the past year and a half, no other binos have created that WOW you-are-there view (10x50's still do it for me), till the recently acquired FL 7x42's. It must be the larger EP that relaxes my vision and I'm able to get an immediate sight picture that is very comfortable, natural and at times, breathtaking...WOW!! :cool:

Ted
There sure is a lot of love on here for the 10x50 SV. I think what is amazing about it is the big AFOV coupled with it's brightness, clarity,sharpness on-axis and edge sharpness. The Canon 10x42 IS-L is almost as good and it has IS so it isn't too shabby either. I think if there was a vote for the best binocular made the 10x50 would be at the top of the list.

Well, the 10x56 FLs I've just received made me go WOW - more for the size and heft of the things (they are BIG suckers!) than for the bright and clear view, the wide AFOV or the excellent low-light performance. So they are, in fact, by far the biggest binoculars that have made me go WOW!

...Mike

I don't need any wow bins, but bins that work under real conditions during long days in the field.
Probably why I don't drive a Ferrari...

My original WOW was at the local Gander Mountain parking lot a couple of years ago. I had been looking through the EL 10X42 SV inside the store and was not particularly bowled over by them. With a little coaxing I was outside looking through them in beautiful conditions, that was definitely a WOW!!!! moment. Since then I've either owned or seen various configurations of the SV, SF, HT, FL, SE, and while there has been plenty of WOW with all of them, that first time in the parking lot hooked me on Alpha optics for ever. For pure WOW, the 10X50 SV and 10X42 HT are the two, both for different reasons. IMO |=)|
The 10x42 HT didn't really WOW me like the 10x42 SF. I guess I need a big FOV to get the WOW feeling.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back