• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon E Series (1 Viewer)

dries1

I have always liked the porro glass from Nikon as I have the EIIs and SEs, but recently have obtained pristine samples of the E series in 8X30 and 10X35.
Though from the 90s, they provide some great views, both are a bit smaller than the new EII counterparts, with a bit more heft.
If you get a chance at one of these in good shape and a good price, they are worth it. And the cases that these came with, well lets just say they don't make them like that anymore. Everything Made in japan.

Andy W.

Attachments

• DSCF5022.jpg
    DSCF5022.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCF5023.jpg
    DSCF5023.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCF5019.jpg
    DSCF5019.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 180
Andy,

Very nice samples indeed---it should be really hard to find them in such a new-like condition. Btw, there is a nice rundown of the A, E and EII 8x30mm series by Simon Spiers on youtube.

Peter

I have always liked the porro glass from Nikon as I have the EIIs and SEs, but recently have obtained pristine samples of the E series in 8X30 and 10X35.
Though from the 90s, they provide some great views, both are a bit smaller than the new EII counterparts, with a bit more heft.
If you get a chance at one of these in good shape and a good price, they are worth it. And the cases that these came with, well lets just say they don't make them like that anymore. Everything Made in japan.

Andy W.

Andrew:

You're a showoff. Consider 2 of those photos to be stolen ... I mean liberated. :cat:

Bill

Bill,

How goes it, I hope well.
These were lucky picks with perfect timing, I could not be happier. The 10X35 had a price tag on the box, yes box, from 1993 for $359.00. To make one of these in Japan would cost I would say, close to $700.

Andy W.

Bill,

How goes it, I hope well.
These were lucky picks with perfect timing, I could not be happier. The 10X35 had a price tag on the box, yes box, from 1993 for $359.00. To make one of these in Japan would cost I would say, close to $700.

Andy W.

I used to sell those like candy bars. If a person NEVER owned any better, only a nitnoid would have any reason to complain. Even then, he should stop using drugs. Anyway, Debbie goes back to teaching next week and I may have time to get back to the serious keyboard. Life is fine—at least considering—but I sure miss the Western Washington rain. Three days ago, it was 104 and we haven't had any real rain in weeks! ... Humbug! Baah! Hope all is well at your end.
:cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
I used to sell those like candy bars. If a person NEVER owned any better, only a nitnoid would have any reason to complain. Even then, he should stop using drugs. Anyway, Debbie goes back to teaching next week and I may have time to get back to the serious keyboard. Life is fine—at least considering—but I sure miss the Western Washington rain. Three days ago, it was 104 and we haven't had any real rain in weeks! ... Humbug! Baah! Hope all is well at your end.
:cat:

Cheers,

Bill

You want rain?

Move to Pennsylvania.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weat...ing-rain-wreaks-havoc-across-state/980889002/

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Pennsylvania/average-yearly-precipitation.php

Bob

Last edited:
"You want rain?

Move to Pennsylvania".

Yes this is so Bill, but don't worry you will make up for it in snow...ha ha.

Bob, I think we are at year end (normal precipitation) totals, and we are in August?

Andy W.

"You want rain?

Move to Pennsylvania".

Yes this is so Bill, but don't worry you will make up for it in snow...ha ha.

Bob, I think we are at year end (normal precipitation) totals, and we are in August?

Andy W.

I remember something about it being 10 inches above normal for this time of year.

It was sunny all day today with temps in the 90s and high humidity. More of the same temps tomorrow but it will be cloudy w 60% humidity.

But don't let that stop you from visiting Penns Woods, Bill!:t:

It really is Green here! Green as far as you can see!

Bob

The Nikon E series were beautifully built porro glasses. They first show up in my Nikon catalogs in 1980. The 7x35 E was my choice and my favorite binocular for hiking, birding and nature study from the early 1980's until the 8X32 SE came available. The 7X35 E was one of a few glasses of that earlier era that had enough eye relief for me to use with eyeglasses and the 5mm pupil provided all day versatility.

The 7x35 E in the pics attached still provides clear sharp images after many years of use and lugging around sometimes in harsh environments.

Stephanie

Attachments

• P1-NIKON 7X35E_2049.jpg
    P1-NIKON 7X35E_2049.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 184
  • P3-NIKON 7X35E_2047.jpg
    P3-NIKON 7X35E_2047.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 168
  • P4-NIKON 7X35E_2046.jpg
    P4-NIKON 7X35E_2046.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 156
The Nikon E series were beautifully built porro glasses. They first show up in my Nikon catalogs in 1980. The 7x35 E was my choice and my favorite binocular for hiking, birding and nature study from the early 1980's until the 8X32 SE came available. The 7X35 E was one of a few glasses of that earlier era that had enough eye relief for me to use with eyeglasses and the 5mm pupil provided all day versatility.

The 7x35 E in the pics attached still provides clear sharp images after many years of use and lugging around sometimes in harsh environments.

Stephanie

Stephanie:

Thanks for posting the photos, the Nikon 7x35 E was called the original Nikon "Birdwatcher" model.
There is lots of good reading about the E and EII on the site "Better View Desired". It was a great
review site from the 90's until it stopped some years ago.

It is a nice resource and is being maintained by some great sponsors.

Jerry

Stephanie
Some binoculars just look better and better after acquiring that external patina and polish from long years of use. Yours are a prime example - and even better to look through, I'll bet.

Stephanie:

Thanks for posting the photos, the Nikon 7x35 E was called the original Nikon "Birdwatcher" model.
There is lots of good reading about the E and EII on the site "Better View Desired". It was a great
review site from the 90's until it stopped some years ago.

It is a nice resource and is being maintained by some great sponsors.

Jerry

I could not find Better View Desired, but it looks like Cloudy Nights mirrored some of the content: https://www.cloudynights.com/BVD/reviews.php.

Picked up an old E and was happy with it, but I got lucky and picked up an E2... the views are much better and brighter, I was quite surprised. So I offloaded the E... still very nice, but not in the same league.
pEter

FYI, there's an 8x32 SE on ebay from japan ($750 bid, $1050 buy, $60 shipping). I've not tried any of the E's, but from what I've read here the SE is a big step up from the EII.

FYI, there's an 8x32 SE on ebay from japan ($750 bid, $1050 buy, $60 shipping). I've not tried any of the E's, but from what I've read here the SE is a big step up from the EII.

Hello MarcSantaCruz,

More of a different animal than a step up: narrower but flatter field, a bit brighter and more armour.

I have owned both the EII and the SE and preferred the former.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back