• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking For a Spotting Scope... (1 Viewer)

Progne Subis

Bird is the word...
Hi all,

I am currently looking for a spotting scope in the price range of $200-$400 USD, and something with optical dimensions of around 20-60x80. I've considered the Fujinon Super 80(although I've read so-so reviews about it), a few of the larger Alpen models, and some of the Celestron models as well. If anyone has a similar type of spotting scope that's worth mentioning or any other recommendations for that matter, please tell me about it. All opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Progne Subis said:
Hi all,

I am currently looking for a spotting scope in the price range of $200-$400 USD, and something with optical dimensions of around 20-60x80. I've considered the Fujinon Super 80(although I've read so-so reviews about it), a few of the larger Alpen models, and some of the Celestron models as well. If anyone has a similar type of spotting scope that's worth mentioning or any other recommendations for that matter, please tell me about it. All opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi,
I was very interested in the Fujinon Super 80 but received Zero feedback (check my previous threads). I have no experience with it but the reviews I read were favorable, especially for the money (it will cost you more than $400 though).
I also considered the Eagle Optics Raven (78mm) which would fall in your price range. I'm now looking into the Pentax 65 which is at the high end of your range but smaller aperture. They also offer an 80 and 100 for more $$. I sacrificed the 80 for the 65 to keep in my budget but it appears the Pentax 65 offers a lot a bang for the buck.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply PTPIER.

I've heard the same abouth the EO Raven and Pentax 65 that they are a good deal for the cash. I've found a few interesting reviews of the Fujinon Super 80(standard) online, aparently the scope becomes a bit blurry at the 50x-60x magnification range, but then again, most budget scopes have this drawback. Besides that, the Fujinon, Pentax, or Raven models sound good to me.

Also, I found this useful bit of info on BF that you migh like to see:

http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-40312

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back