• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Jay Question- (1 Viewer)

bobmaguire

This morning, I watched a bird hit a window. Upon further exploration, I realized it was a blue jay. I watched for at least an hour and no other birds helped the blue jay who was in pain and still alive.
My question is, Do birds help there fellow birds out in times of need? Or did I not wait long enough?

No, Birds do not help each other that way. Let the Jay alone - if he just got conked on his head, he may just have been knocked out for a spell. I had this happen before and most are OK.

Hi Bob and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

Chances are if it didn't die, it's neck was not broken. It was probably well stunned though. Would like to hear what the outcome for the Jay was though.

No they don't. It's against the law! ;)

Oh no....you didn't just say that :-O

But to answer the question I'm not sure they help each other out, unless of course someone finds a hawk/owl sitting in a tree then they all come together and make a racket

On occasion we will put an upside down wash basket over the stunned bird until it is able to fly. This protects it from the hawks and inquisitive cats.

great idea

That is a great idea. I never thoght to do that - It makes a lot of sense - particularly if the plastic clothes baskets' lattice work is wide enough for the bird to hop through when it feels better.

On occasion we will put an upside down wash basket over the stunned bird until it is able to fly. This protects it from the hawks and inquisitive cats.

I did notice that birds of different species will even defend a nest of young birds - no mattter whose nest it is by giving a loud racket to warn of a snake or cat attack. I had a Robins nest 2 years ago that was sitting very low in a Cherry tree. there was a stray cat lurking nearby and the racket the birds gave this thing finally drove him away. There were Titmice, Chickadees, Robins and even 3 blackbirds that were diving at the cat to chase it away. It was pretty amazing. Did anyone else ever see such a thing?

I did notice that birds of different species will even defend a nest of young birds - no mattter whose nest it is by giving a loud racket to warn of a snake or cat attack. I had a Robins nest 2 years ago that was sitting very low in a Cherry tree. there was a stray cat lurking nearby and the racket the birds gave this thing finally drove him away. There were Titmice, Chickadees, Robins and even 3 blackbirds that were diving at the cat to chase it away. It was pretty amazing. Did anyone else ever see such a thing?

That’s mixed species mobbing. Birds will engage in that not just around nests, but outside the breeding season as well. In fact, looking for mobbing flocks of birds is one of the best ways to locate roosting owls in the fall & winter (I found both of the only 2 Saw-whet Owls I’ve ever seen in Reno by that means).

Google “avian mobbing” & you’ll get links to lots of interesting articles on the subject.

Birds that have bonded keep the pair bond till death, but I think they have no clue how to help a bird in trouble. Feeding of the young is instinctive.

Not too many years ago, we strongly disliked Blue Jays because of their aggressive behaviour. We would even try to chase them from the feeder, but a few winters back we saw one either sick, or just weak and starving during a harsh winter. It was sad to see him take one Sunflower seed, and work on it for a long time on a nearby branch. He expired soon after. Since then we welcome them, and enjoy seeing their colorful presence.

Regarding the washbasket: We need to monitor it during the day to see if the bird is ready to go out on its own. Don't want to have it lose strength by struggling to get out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back