• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Talk me out of Noctivids (1 Viewer)

As I said before, I often choose to use my bins without eyeglasses, but in order to get the best out of them I need to use glasses these days so it really makes no sense to drop 2Kish on a bin without enough ER. It's a shame, but there it is.... sorry Chuck!

That was EXACTLY the reason I passed on the Leica 12X50 and went with the SV 12X50. It was a good decision. BARELY larger than a 42mm SV and very similar size to a SF 8X42. The SV 12X50 has proved itself to be the before companion to a nice 7X or 8X.

Attachments

• DSC_0496.JPG
    DSC_0496.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 72
Chuck, the SV is certainly very highly regarded it seems. As a matter of interest, are you just using your 12x50’s for birding, and can you hand hold them?

Fantastic! 8x or 10x? Let us know what you think when you get them! :t:

8x42. I have found I prefer 8x for general use. Doug said he his headed to SHOT show and he would send them out in a week. Will report back.

Total impulse buy, didn't get the deal I was looking for but I don't feel I got took either. Plus, they'll be new and from authorized dealer, so there's that.

Last edited:
8x42. I have found I prefer 8x for general use. Doug said he his headed to SHOT show and he would send them out in a week. Will report back.

Total impulse buy, didn't get the deal I was looking for but I don't feel I got took either. Plus, they'll be new and from authorized dealer, so there's that.

It's only money! ;) Whatever you pay there's always a better deal later on. Just forget about it and enjoy them!

That has been my experience. The initial sting of the investment hurts but long after that sting has worn off the joy of years of use remains. My SV's are almost 10yrs old now and I forgot what I paid but it wasn't cheap. They are still nice to use. In fact I may have found the problem with my 8.5's, operator error. I was checking out two blue jay's giving a squirrel a hard time when I decided to rotate the eyecups in one position from fully extended. The view became a bit more pleasing to me. I don't intend to sell them, yet. Just supplement with Noctivids.

PS. my father still has and uses Trinovid's from the 90's so they last a good while, though he could stand to replace the folding eyecups (the rubber is old and cracked).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back