• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

mmdnje

Jose
These pics. were taken by a friend in Ecuador (North-west, Esmeraldas Province). We disagree on the ID. What do you think? Thanks in advance. Jose

Attachments

• tyranid1.jpg
    tyranid1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 91
  • tyranid2.jpg
    tyranid2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 98
Thanks jrwilton. As far as I can tell Couch's Kingbird has not been described in Ecuador. We were debating between snowy throated kingbird and grey-capped kingbird.

I think it's a white-throated kingbird (Tyrannus albogularis)

It looks good for White-throated Kingbird, but being west of the Andes I guess it is more likely to be a pale-looking Tropical Kingbird.
Forked tail, back colour, non black forehead, not very dark mask area are against Snowy-throated Kingbird imo.
Grey-capped Flycatcher it's quite different in shape, bill size and colours.

Check this Tropical to see how pale can they be:

http://www.pbase.com/gtepke/tropical_kingbird

Cheers
Eduardo

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back