• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two go mad looking for water in darkest Northamptonshire (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
I'm taking a festive break from Torry to visit the folks in the picturesque East Midlands town of Northampton. Today I teamed up with fellow BF stalwart Ms HelenElizabeth II for some birding japes in the Greater Northamptonian region. In common with many other areas, chilly weather has been a feature in recent weeks and almost all the open water has frozen. There's been a bit of a thaw over the past couple of days but not enough to diminish the thick crust of ice. Or just enough to make everything a bit slushy and slippery.

First port of call was the causeway at Pitsford Res. Ice stretched in all directions, aside from a small open area by the car park, seemingly kept open by the throng of birds gathered there. Lots of Wigeon and Coot but nothing too unusual. We headed down to the dam end, where we took note of the signs suggesting that unauthorised vehicles were liable to be clamped. We were unauthorised but avoided any sanctions, at least this time. You may not be so lucky. A bit more water was available for inspection here, particularly at the far end of the dam. This held the usual commoner waterfowl, with Little Grebes in very large numbers, but not too much else until a redhead Smew decided to enter the fray, source unknown. She disappeared just as quickly. As we walked back to the car a drake Smew also flew in. Mysterious creatures, the old white nuns.

After finding our way through Northampton we arrived at Sixfields, home of the Cobblers and one of the town's premier birding destinations. Really. A wander around the adjacent Storton's Gravel Pits didn't turn up too much, aside from a few Goosander and lots of Redwings. It was while looking through these that I heard a familiar ringing trill. Familiar that is from Aberdeen. A couple of Waxwings zipped across towards some rowan trees. More followed, and eventually at least twelve were counted, toing and froing between some willow trees and the rowans. Splendid stuff - the first I've ever seen in Northamptonshire.

After delicious San Fran Veggie Burgers at American-themed food holocaust TGI Fridays, we headed for Clifford Hill. We parked amongst the bargain hunters in Riverside Park - Northampton's favourite retail park - and took a walk to the river. It really was a bit icy, with even the river being mostly frozen over. Negotiating the pool of despond (and horse excrement) that lay in wait across the bridge, we scanned the two remaining bits of open water. A few Goosanders were on the barrage and the deep pit held a drake Pintail and an immature drake Scaup. The latter was taking a tip from the Smew and soon took off and headed down the river. No nonsense. A few other bits and bobs were around – Fieldfare, Redwing and Green and Great-spotted Woodpeckers.

Thanks to Helen for joining me in sampling the birding treasures of Northampton in the wintertime.

Last edited:
Sounds fun, wish I'd been there!
Remember the year long torment of being unable to see a smew Helen? Now you know who you should've gone with!

Sounds fun, wish I'd been there!
Remember the year long torment of being unable to see a smew Helen? Now you know who you should've gone with!

Well, they say you haven't really been birding until you've slogged around Pitsford Res on a cold and damp December morning. And there's something in that. Hopefully you'll be able to join us next year ;).

Perhaps Helen's presence explains the skittishness of the Smew. Maybe these were ones who didn't realise she was around. Until it was too late.

I'm just very disappointed that you didn't meet up at Dogsthorpe Tip for some real hard core gull watching. Are you both going soft in your advancing years?

I'm just very disappointed that you didn't meet up at Dogsthorpe Tip for some real hard core gull watching. Are you both going soft in your advancing years?

We did look at a few gulls. And I did try and get Helen interested in aythya ducks. You've got to break her into these things gently though.

We did look at a few gulls. And I did try and get Helen interested in aythya ducks. You've got to break her into these things gently though.

You may have looked at a few gulls. I looked at hundreds of gulls. Every gull we saw. In painstaking detail. Which is why you were the one who kept finding everything else.

I hope you won't hold it against me that I suppressed the Glaucous Winged. I didn't feel up to the publicity.

You may have looked at a few gulls. I looked at hundreds of gulls. Every gull we saw. In painstaking detail. Which is why you were the one who kept finding everything else.

I hope you won't hold it against me that I suppressed the Glaucous Winged. I didn't feel up to the publicity.

I'm not sure Northamptonshire can cope with a Glaucous-winged Gull, so it's probably for the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back