• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOU List - question (1 Viewer)

Allen

All

Appreciating that listing is to some degree down to the individual, I just wondered if there is detailed record information available about species on the BOU list which are noted as AE? Is there further information available on which occurences are counted as A by the BOU? I was particularly interested in the record of the Baikal Teal at Minsmere as I noticed BOU have Baikal as AE - so which records are the A ones?
Also I noticed that Canvasback is down as A only, does that mean all records are presumed to be wild birds? The same with Bufflehead.

Just interested but am sure this will open a whole can of views and opinons :)

AFAIK the BOU records committee only deals with "firsts" for Britain, so officially they wouldn't hold such lists (in practice I'm sure they do, but not for publication). BBRC would, though, for species they deal with.

All

Appreciating that listing is to some degree down to the individual, I just wondered if there is detailed record information available about species on the BOU list which are noted as AE? Is there further information available on which occurences are counted as A by the BOU? I was particularly interested in the record of the Baikal Teal at Minsmere as I noticed BOU have Baikal as AE - so which records are the A ones?
Also I noticed that Canvasback is down as A only, does that mean all records are presumed to be wild birds? The same with Bufflehead.

Just interested but am sure this will open a whole can of views and opinons :)

Each year the birds accepted to Category A by the BBRC are listed with details in the British Birds journal. If you are a subscriber you can get to access the back catalogue online.

If you don't subscribe to British birds then Rare Bird Alert and Birdguides both have sections of their website that list accepted records of rare species.

Re. Canvasback being A only. In theory you are right, that the records assessed have all been accepted to Category A. This doesn't mean that all the Canvasbacks are genuine, just that ones seen at the time and adjudged to have been escapes weren't submitted to the committee.

Re. Baikal Teal - so far Minsmere, Dix Pit (Oxon) and Chigborough (Essex) have been accepted on Cat A.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back