• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding from Perth (1 Viewer)

les83

Hi there, just new into bird watching and wondered where people would suggest I go to see different species. So far I've been to Loch of the Lowes (just before the osprey chick left), Vane Farm where I saw the white tailed sea eagle and I also did a day trip to Caerlaverock. I get some nice finches and tits in the garden as I feed them. Just wondered where else people would recommend I go? I work for the railway so I try to visit places by public transport as much as possible to keep costs down.
Many thanks
Les

Hi Les

You'll get a few ideas from the various Opus articles which cover Scotland, which you can access from this page.

A couple of places in Perth, such as Quarrymill, which is good for Dippers and Scone Palace for Hawfinches in the winter - we're trying to arrange a New Year Bash to see them sometime in January (hopefully) - you're welcome to join us if you can manage. The thread is here.

Kinnoull Hill, is worth exploring, too, for woodland birds.

That's great thanks very much for your help. I'll certainly keep an eye on the forum for when you are going looking for hawfinches :)

This is maybe not so interesting for some of you but I just thought I'd report back my garden sightings after around 3 months of feeding.
My garden has become something of a finch haven with regular groups of:
chaffinch
goldfinch
a pair of greenfinch
and in recent days I've had a pair of siskins visiting every day.
On the tit front I regularly get both blue tits and great tits
Other than that I've also had a solitary collared dove coming from time to time.
The usual garden species all come too, eg
house sparrow
dunnock
blackbirds
robin
starlings
magpie
wood and feral pigeons

Yesterday I also had a pair of rooks tried to use the sunflower heart feeder but thankfully they didn't stay for too long.

You've a nice selection there Les. I've only seen Siskin once, very briefly, on my window feeder.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back