• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drive up to Speyside advice (1 Viewer)

peteh

hi,
We will be making our annual trip to Speyside at the start of June and the final leg of the drive will be from Ken dee marshes to Feshiebridge.
We could do with breaking that section up and was hoping to find somewhere to have a look for Butterflies, Dragonflies or Birds.
Does anyone know of anywhere on that route that would be a good stop off?

Thanks

Hi Pete

I always stop off at Annandale Water Services on the M74. If you follow the path round the water and away from the parking area, it gets quieter and the habitat improves.

After that, it depends how far off the main road you want to go but there's not much close to the A9 until you reach the Dunkeld area. Loch of the Lowes, is about 5 minutes from the junction. North of Pitlochry is Killiecrankie.

I'm sure others will have more ideas, but these may keep you going for a bit!

Hi Delia
Looked at killiecrankie but it's about 4 hours from ken dee. Was thinking I need something about halfway. I am probably going to go up the Perth shire tourist route rather than most of the a9 so that might goof me up a bit.

LOL Pete... I had to look up the "Perthshire Tourist Route"! I sort of knew about it but ....

Yes, a lovely run, I can't help with the more southerly end, but here is a parking place overlooking the river. You could either just stop there or cross the road and wander up the track which follows the River Almond for as long as you want. Dippers, Grey Wagtails. Birds of prey use the thermals from the hills either side.

From there it would be worth stopping at a layby along this loch for a scan before dropping down to Aberfeldy. There's a lovely riverside walk at the Birks of Aberfeldy which you pass on your way down the hill.

If you want, you can cross the River Tay at Aberfeldy and take the little road along the north side (well worth the few extra minutes... ummm... well maybe 10;)) It re-joins the tourist route further along.

A few possibilities for you anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back