• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Titchwell September 13th

Today's highlights

Sooty shearwater – 1 reported west offshore @ 10:20
Manx shearwater – 15 offshore
Spoonbill – 3 on fresh marsh early morning
Little stint – 2 juvs on fresh marsh
Black tern – 2 west this afternoon
Spotted redshank – 7 on fresh marsh
Pink footed goose – 20 SE over reserve this morning
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Great skua - 5 offshore this morning
Mediterranean gull - 2 on fresh marsh
Wigeon - 16 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell September 14th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler – 1 calling outside the visitor centre @ 11:30 but no further sign
Pectoral sandpiper – 1 reported on fresh marsh late afternoon
Great skua – 120 offshore throughout the day
Manx shearwater – 20+ offshore
Pink footed goose – 200+ over the reserve today
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 over reedbed
Red crested pochard - female on Patsy's reedbed
Common sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh

Last Titchwell report from me. Thanks for all your support and kind words

Paul

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler – 1 calling outside the visitor centre @ 11:30 but no further sign
Pectoral sandpiper – 1 reported on fresh marsh late afternoon
Great skua – 120 offshore throughout the day
Manx shearwater – 20+ offshore
Pink footed goose – 200+ over the reserve today
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 over reedbed
Red crested pochard - female on Patsy's reedbed
Common sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh

Last Titchwell report from me. Thanks for all your support and kind words

Paul

thanks Paul - these have been invaluable on our trips over - hope everything goes well in your new post

I have just returned from Norfolk and did not see the Pallas Grasshopper Warbler, but what I did see was Twitchers, as they cant be called bird watchers, trampling through everything in an attempt to flush the bird. I have just watched 7 minutes on You Tube in which a couple of -------¬s pathetically argue with Wardens from Holkam Estate who have reprimanded them/others for trespassing and breaking down the fence. Its people like these who give us all a bad name. Its a miracle the poor bird was not trampled to death.

A disgusted midland birder

I have just returned from Norfolk and did not see the Pallas Grasshopper Warbler, but what I did see was Twitchers, as they cant be called bird watchers, trampling through everything in an attempt to flush the bird. I have just watched 7 minutes on You Tube in which a couple of -------¬s pathetically argue with Wardens from Holkam Estate who have reprimanded them/others for trespassing and breaking down the fence. Its people like these who give us all a bad name. Its a miracle the poor bird was not trampled to death.

A disgusted midland birder
I just watched the video. People like this give all decent birders a bad name. Their selfishness is unbelievable. Since when did the welfare of the bird come into this. As far as I can see their attitude is I have a right to see this bird regardless of who I upset or cause difficulties for and ultimately it cause problems for all decent birders in the longer term.

You can fully understand why land owners do not want to grant access if this is their only experience of (I hate to call them) birdwatchers

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Major discussion about this on the rare bird thread for the PG Tips - usual responses from both 'sides.' Not my sort of birding, would rather give it a miss and I bet this weekend there is pure hell!!

sorry to see you leaving paul good luck with your new venture
martin

The same from me Paul.

I have appreciated your regular postings from Titchwell and wish other RSPB reserve staff would do the same.

I understand you are moving along to Holkham - all the best.

Steve

Thanks all for the info regarding Stone Curlews.

John.

Cavenham Heath is a reliable roost site but can still be hit and miss. The night the photo was taken in the link, only one bird showed! The roost has been moving around a bit lately, but it will be around and visible from the main track down to the river. They can stay very hunkered down but around 6pm the birds start to get active and vocal - you should catch a few near fly overs to the pig farm too if you hang around until dusk. You should be ok until end of September, providing temperatures stay in normal range.

Does anyone use a Birdsong recognition App for IPhone, if so could you recommend one please.

Cheers

There's one for garden birds at www.birdlineeastanglia.co.uk follow the link under 'Bird & wildlife photographs'.

Please note I am somewhat biaised as the app is lavishly illustrated with my photographs. :))

PS link to apps store not working. I'll get round to trying to find a new link to the 'Bird Song Id - Dave Farrow's guide to garden birds' on the apple site soon.

Last edited:
There's one for garden birds at www.birdlineeastanglia.co.uk follow the link under 'Bird & wildlife photographs'.

Please note I am somewhat biaised as the app is lavishly illustrated with my photographs. :))

PS link to apps store not working. I'll get round to trying to find a new link to the 'Bird Song Id - Dave Farrow's guide to garden birds' on the apple site soon.

Sorry Apple have dropped the app from its store so is no longer available.

Making a trip to Norfolk this weekend and would like to see some Dartford Warblers are they still knocking about on Kelling Heath currently? Thank you

Anna. Still in small numbers. Look out for in the usual spots. Told the area near the rail crossing is often good. Probably best on a sunny day with no wind so not ideal conditions. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back