• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The greatest birding spot in TX? (1 Viewer)

I am about to move back to alaska, I am sick of Texas, but in one day at Addicks Reservoir I saw over 70 different birds, and that is just the ones that I could identify.

At this moment you could go to the area west of HWY 6, north of I-10, directly north of the apts called Legend at Park Ten at 15000 Park Row in Houston and see a massive congregation of birds.

and if you take the time to walk in the woods, or just sit in the woods, which is what I do, you would have the birds come to you. every woodpecker you can think of inhabits those woods, kingfishers, you name it. Hawks, swifts, swallows. it is crazy to me that no one goes there. i don't think there is anywhere in north america that has this many birds. my list for this year alone in this area is 112, and I am not very good, there are at least 50 more birds that I couldn't identify.

for a long time I have kept this area secret, I live there and I am one of the few people that ever walks around out there, but "THEY" are starting to build more subdivisions on the other side of hwy 6, and i worry that this area is going to fall prey to ''progress".

The birds aren't the only animals there either. A massive population of cottonmouths are there, so many turtles it would boggle your mind, a ton of deer, pigs, lizards. if anyone with better resources than me could try to help save this place, it would be a great accomplishment. I've just never wanted to attract any attention to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back