• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cairngorm Visit (1 Viewer)

Clandestine Bird

Dear All,

After almost 2 years I've to go back to Ecuador. But, I've never been in the famous Cairngorms National Park. So, How I can get there with no problem?

I do not have a car. And some people said that from Nethy Bridge it's the best place, other people talk about Aviemore. But I'm not sure about which is the best place? and where it's a source to get maps of the trails or something like that?.

I have to travel by train or bus. And I just have 1 or 2 days to pick-up: Ptarmigan, Capercaillie, Black Grouse, Crested Tit, The Scottish and Parrot-billed Crossbills, few other passerines, maybe some waders, and a couple of nocturnals.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Manuel

Looks like you can get a bus from Aviemore, see here: http://www.stagecoachbus.com/tis-journey-result.aspx?date=21%2f08%2f2014+07%3a45%3a00&orig=L|Aviemore%2c+Highland|ZYX15652&dest=S|Cairngorm+Ski+Centre%2c+Car+Park|6700712475&time=Depart

I believe there's a tourist information centre in Aviemore where you might be able to get maps, plus the ski centre at the foot of the funicular might also have maps.

This should be a good starting point, one of many walk reports up the mountain, some might offer alternative routes and some will offer the basic route up beside the funicular railway: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/cairngorm.shtml Walk Highlands is an excellent website, you'll see lots of maps and photos, loads of chat about different routes. It's one of the most popular walks in the Highlands, so there's a lot of stuff about this hill on there.

I'd highly recommend proper walking gear when going up there, including cold and wet weather jackets and decent boots.

Last edited:
Hi Again,

Guiding trips are quite expensive per day 150 - 160 GBPs. I'm an student. With that money I can pay the travel, meals and the accommodation. I just need some directions and trail-maps...that's all.

If you have some links to where to get trail-maps/directions into the Cairngorms and the bird list / or bird spots near Nethy Bridge could be helpful.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Dear All,

Thanks for all your help, and sorry for this delayed response. Now, I'm in Ecuador. I have a couple of great days in Aviemore and Nethy Bridge. I got Crested Tit, a fast group of Unnamed Crossbills, but no Capercaille.

Thanks for sharing info about places to spot some birds during August, it was rainy but it was great.

Thanks again!

All the best.

Manuel

Manuel

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back