• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

aWEEP aWEEP bird - Scotland (1 Viewer)

Glastoun

In Scotland every year, the imminence of spring is announced to me by birds that show up around this time of year, flying around fairly slowly and steadily, often at night, with a call that I can only type as 'aWEEP, aWEEP, aWEEP'.

As it's often dark when they're around I have little idea what they look like, but they seem to be fairly thin birds, smaller than a pigeon, but I'd imagine not a tiny sparrow-type bird as they don't seem to zip about fast enough. Maybe some light plumage as they seem to reflect a little of the streetlight back down.

Based on this (limited) description, any idea what these birds are? They've come to symbolise the slowing of winter for me, so I'd like to give them credit. :)

Hi Glastoun and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I'm going to move your thread to the Bird I D section as you are likely to get more suggestions there ;)

I see you are signed up for email notification so you won't lose track of this thread.

Hi Glastoun and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

This sounds very like Oystercatchers that you're hearing. I have often heard them passing by in the middle of the night, as the head from the coasts to their breeding grounds on the higher pastures.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we usually have one or two meets each year and they're all great fun. We're currently discussing possibilities in this thread. You'd be most welcome to join us if you can manage.

Yes I concur with Oyster Catchers. A species that seems to be slowly moving to inland habitats. A bit like the Cormorant. We have a pair, here in Callander that appear to have settled permanently on the meadows beside the river, right in the centre of town. They can be heard any time, day and night.

Last edited:
Any chance it could be Woodcock? They fly in circles round here too, after sunset, 'roding', making a repeated sound a bit like a two-syllable sneeze with a very faint (almost inaudible) double-gurgle in between.

Thanks for the suggestions - I checked out lapwing and the call is too variable, almost like the sound an airport metal detector used to make;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZb5PrF0BA

and the woodcock is too gruff, like a digital sneeze (actually sneeze wasn't the first bodily comparison I thought of but we'll stick with that ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRCEqQZUPps

This is probably the closest - when there are a few of them they sound like the first half of the video, and when there's only one it sounds like the second half of the video only more regular and with an upward inflection. The image somehow matches my description too, dark but with a white undercarriage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwWX--kiYWY

Thanks for the help, at least I can tell people what they are now!

Did you listen to the recording on the Oystercatcher link I gave you above Glastoun. That, to me, sounds an almost perfect match for what you described.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back