• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (32 Viewers)

Very Local to North Walsam

I am on holiday in July near North Walsham.
If I have one day only to do some watching away from that area what would local birders recommend as a feasible day out in Norfolk.
I know all about Minsmere from living in Essex years ago but never went into Norfolk.

As you are on the doorstep, may I recommend the 10:30 boat trip from Hickling Norfolk wildlife trust.
This is a 2 hour trip and you get a guided tour of 2 hides and a climb of the tower, where you will see a very large chunk of the county.
Almost always Crane and Marsh Harrier, Cuckoo most days and chance of a Hobby.

Also I you take Jame's suggestion can I add to it, that you start your route from Happisburg.
I hope you enjoy your holiday

Another Rosy Starling pic.

I promise I was a good boy, and I was considerate to non-photographers. o:D

I did see one guy pushing it a bit, but couldn't see the point when the lens was so big he couldn't stop it shaking...;)

The only thing I thought that spooked the little cracker was a car horn.

I was second on site this morning and stood a good distance from the bird feeders to watch the Rose-coloured Starling when it first showed at 5.55am and that is where I stayed. All birders and photographers that arrived after me behaved perfectly. No one walked in front.

When I went back this evening at around 6.45pm it was a totally different story. The garden was surrounded at all angles and one man with a big lens had a massive flash which was going off and this definately disturbed the bird and was completely unnecessary. Yes the bird did seem to be feeding happily with people at close proximity but the flash was uncalled for.

Pouring with rain for a long time on my arrival at 5am and naff pictures due to poor weather and distance from garden. Spoonbill and 2 Med Gulls whilst here.

VIDEO OF ROSE-COLOURED STARLING HERE

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
I was second on site this morning and stood a good distance from the bird feeders to watch the Rose-coloured Starling when it first showed at 5.55am and that is where I stayed. All birders and photographers that arrived after me behaved perfectly. No one walked in front.

When I went back this evening at around 6.45pm it was a totally different story. The garden was surrounded at all angles and one man with a big lens had a massive flash which was going off and this definately disturbed the bird and was completely unnecessary. Yes the bird did seem to be feeding happily with people at close proximity but the flash was uncalled for.

Pouring with rain for a long time on my arrival at 5am and naff pictures due to poor weather and distance from garden. Spoonbill and 2 Med Gulls whilst here.

Penny:girl:

Hi Penny, I wasn't sure that the flash disturbed the birds but yes it was a little unnecessary however the light did fall off rapidly so I understand he wanted to use flash.

People has been surrounding since late morning and we noticed the bird feeds happily hence the movement :t:

PS: Did you get replacement for your emergency mirror? o:D

I think "photographers" have to realise that if the light in the sky isn't good enough, you simply will not get anything that will win photo of the week. Just take a record shot for yourself and be happy enough with that. I get the impression that people buy a load of expensive gear and still have the stuff running on autopilot. I say impression, but I saw it in action today.

Here's another pic of the bird anyway, just in case we forget why we went to Wells...

Attachments

• DSC04491 (2) rosy starling bath.jpg
    DSC04491 (2) rosy starling bath.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 149
I think "photographers" have to realise that if the light in the sky isn't good enough, you simply will not get anything that will win photo of the week. Just take a record shot for yourself and be happy enough with that. I get the impression that people buy a load of expensive gear and still have the stuff running on autopilot. I say impression, but I saw it in action today.

Here's another pic of the bird anyway, just in case we forget why we went to Wells...

Love this photo! Superb.

Hi Penny, I wasn't sure that the flash disturbed the birds but yes it was a little unnecessary however the light did fall off rapidly so I understand he wanted to use flash.

People has been surrounding since late morning and we noticed the bird feeds happily hence the movement :t:

PS: Did you get replacement for your emergency mirror? o:D
The bird appeared to flinch every time the flash went off and also someone else said the same. Re: mirror, no not replaced;)

Glad everybody is able to enjoy this fabulous bird as such close range, its definately the star of the show at the moment:t:

The bird appeared to flinch every time the flash went off and also someone else said the same. Re: mirror, no not replaced;)

Glad everybody is able to enjoy this fabulous bird as such close range, its definately the star of the show at the moment:t:

The bird appears to have gone, the question is did flash gun Frank scare it off or did it just decide to leave of its own accord!

Now that the dust has settled and it appears the RC Starling has moved on would just like to thank everyone who has posted supportive messages on the forum regarding the behaviour of a tiny minority at the site. Thanks also to those who texted, e-mailed or 'phoned me to express similar sentiments.
Sadly there were a few who felt uncomfortable with my original post which is perhaps a reflection on the 'me first' attitude that seems to rear it's head now and again in all walks of life and not just birding. In defence of my post all I can say is that I was brought up in a generation that understood the importance of good manners, respect for people and consideration for others. Clearly none of the above were in evidence from a small minority hence my post.
Anyway, time to move on and find some birds!

Mick

Now that the dust has settled and it appears the RC Starling has moved on would just like to thank everyone who has posted supportive messages on the forum regarding the behaviour of a tiny minority at the site. Thanks also to those who texted, e-mailed or 'phoned me to express similar sentiments.
Sadly there were a few who felt uncomfortable with my original post which is perhaps a reflection on the 'me first' attitude that seems to rear it's head now and again in all walks of life and not just birding. In defence of my post all I can say is that I was brought up in a generation that understood the importance of good manners, respect for people and consideration for others. Clearly none of the above were in evidence from a small minority hence my post.

Mick

Mick
Very well said, this applies to 'birders' equally as 'photographers'. There is enough space for all and sadly the minority, as usual, taint things for the majority. I guess I am of a similar generation and do have to say that much of the bad manners and behaviour in general, especially in hides, seems to be people of my generation. There have been many posts on this forum about people in hides and shouting across, hogging spaces and downright bad manners. Blocking paths is another example of ignorance in my book. In my experience much of this comes from people of a similar age, or older, than me. Particularly as they are often in groups huddled round a leader. It is immaterial if you are a birder, photographer or birder/photographer manners and consideration should come first and foremost. Sadly as you point out a minority of people ignore this. Whichever camp you sit in there is only one priority and that is the welfare of the birds - clearly some people you have met in the past few days ignore this and end up sallying the reputation of others, often unwarranted and unfairly.

Hopefully some of the individuals will have read the posts on this thread, one I often find amusing and entertaining, learn from it and consider others in the future. Some people contributing to this thread must know the individuals concerned and it would be nice to think that they have the error of their ways pointed out. Sadly human nature these days does not mean they will take note though.

Cheers and thanks for highlighting an issue which irritates people whatever their objective is from birding.

Phil

Mick
I agree with nearly everything you have said regarding the behaviour of the few at twitches. My issue is that posting photos of those on the net who you have decided have broken codes, inviting comments online is probably more inappropriate than the behaviour your trying to prevent! Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back