• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DS Eyepiece(s) (1 Viewer)

Pileatus

"Experientia Docet”
United States
Does anyone use a Nikon Fieldscope 82 mm AN ED with the fixed DS eyepieces? I’ve looked at Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss zooms and all leave me begging for more eye relief. At this point, I’m considering a scope with fixed magnification eyepieces.

I own a Nikon SE and the fold down rubber eyecups suit me just fine, since I always keep them folded down! The DS eyecups come with great eye relief along with rubber eyecups for normal viewing. If the eyecups on the DS eyepieces are the same as the SE’s they should offer comfortable eye relief.

I understand many would not want to change eyepieces in the field, but I’m just not happy with what I see in the zooms. To those who enjoy them, count your blessings.

If you use the Nikon DS eyepieces for regular viewing, I’d love to hear your opinions. I’m also considering the Swarovski 80ED with 30X and 45X fixed eyepieces.

John

John,

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am interested in a 30x WA for my 60mm FSIII ED AN.

Can I infer from your comments that there is really no reason to buy the standard eyepiece as the DS eyepiece will function perfectly well as both a camera interface and a standard viewing lens?

I don't wear glasses (yet) and I typically like a binocular with shorter eye relief. I just thought that it would be nice to have the flexibility to move into photography if the DS eyepiece functions well in both areas.

Thanks,

Steffan

John Traynor said:
Does anyone use a Nikon Fieldscope 82 mm AN ED with the fixed DS eyepieces? I’ve looked at Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss zooms and all leave me begging for more eye relief. At this point, I’m considering a scope with fixed magnification eyepieces.

I own a Nikon SE and the fold down rubber eyecups suit me just fine, since I always keep them folded down! The DS eyecups come with great eye relief along with rubber eyecups for normal viewing. If the eyecups on the DS eyepieces are the same as the SE’s they should offer comfortable eye relief.

I understand many would not want to change eyepieces in the field, but I’m just not happy with what I see in the zooms. To those who enjoy them, count your blessings.

If you use the Nikon DS eyepieces for regular viewing, I’d love to hear your opinions. I’m also considering the Swarovski 80ED with 30X and 45X fixed eyepieces.

John

try to PM avan because he is using it for digiscoping too ...

Marley said:
John,

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am interested in a 30x WA for my 60mm FSIII ED AN.

Can I infer from your comments that there is really no reason to buy the standard eyepiece as the DS eyepiece will function perfectly well as both a camera interface and a standard viewing lens?

I don't wear glasses (yet) and I typically like a binocular with shorter eye relief. I just thought that it would be nice to have the flexibility to move into photography if the DS eyepiece functions well in both areas.

Thanks,

Steffan
Steffan,

Please see:
http://nikon.topica.ne.jp/bi_e/products/nature_c.htm

The DS eyepieces offer you a choice of 24X, 40X, and 60X magnifications on the 60mm scope. The 24X on the 60mm is the 30X on the 82mm scope.

I'm including 2 photos.

One shows the 30X DS (24X on the 60mm) as it appears when used for normal viewing. The rubber protector is easily removed for digiscoping.

The second shows the eyepiece with the protective cover in place.

Many have looked through this eyepiece with and without eyeglasses; no one surrendered the view quickly. Truly, it is a magnificent eyepiece.

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back