• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slik or Manfrotto (1 Viewer)

Paul_Gower

I am going to have to upgrade from my Opticron tripod to something a bit more substantial to support the Nikon ED78, but budget is a major factor. I am also a bit out in the wilds and unable to do much in the way of comparison shopping. Reading comments, reviews etc., I am thinking about either Slik D3, or Manfrotto 190 or 55. The Slik looks like good value, but I know there ae a lot of Manfrotto fans - any views would be welcome. I am not planning to do any digiscoping - just need a stable platform for the scope.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul_Gower said:
I am going to have to upgrade from my Opticron tripod to something a bit more substantial to support the Nikon ED78, but budget is a major factor. I am also a bit out in the wilds and unable to do much in the way of comparison shopping. Reading comments, reviews etc., I am thinking about either Slik D3, or Manfrotto 190 or 55. The Slik looks like good value, but I know there ae a lot of Manfrotto fans - any views would be welcome. I am not planning to do any digiscoping - just need a stable platform for the scope.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul I don't know anything about the Slik. I am now using a Manfrotto/Bogen 3221 GN3 and I like it. Except when I have to carry it. I wish now I had got a liter tripod.

"not planning to do any digiscoping" Paul one thing I have learned the hard way is just about every time I say "I'm not planning" I usually do what I'm not planning. I have spent more money by not thinking what I might want to do next year. Example I now have two cameras and two tripods because I was "not planning to do any digiscoping".

Just something to think about.

Carl

Paul_Gower said:

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have and use a Slik D3 and also use a Nat3 55 with 128RC head. The Manfrotto is a better 'pod in my opinion but is significantly heavier than the D3. The main thing I dont like about the Slik is the scope attachment - there is no locking plate and you constantly need to keep unscrewing the scope from the head. With the 055 you get a QR plate and can even get housings for specific makes of scope such as Apo 77. I dont like the screw grip legs on the Slik as they tend to work themeselves loose at crucial moments, though they extend with far less noise than the Manfrotto.

For me the NAT3 55 feels like it has been designed more for Birders using telescopes though some will disagree and say it is just a camera support like the Slik !

Good luck,

Lindsay

Hi Paul like you I bought the ED78( from warehouse express?)and am delighted with it. I bought the Manfrotto 190 with 701RC2. In terms of smoothness and ease of use it is a delight. It supports the scope very well and is very steady. However the one drawback is the baseplate that attaches to the scope and then clips onto the tripod. A single screw holds the scope onto the baseplate and therefore the tripod and it has a tendency to work loose when walking for a distance after a few hours in the field. I have taken to releasing the scope from the tripod when walking between viewing spots for fear of the 2 detaching

markgrubb said:
Hi Paul like you I bought the ED78( from warehouse express?)and am delighted with it. I bought the Manfrotto 190 with 701RC2. In terms of smoothness and ease of use it is a delight. It supports the scope very well and is very steady. However the one drawback is the baseplate that attaches to the scope and then clips onto the tripod. A single screw holds the scope onto the baseplate and therefore the tripod and it has a tendency to work loose when walking for a distance after a few hours in the field. I have taken to releasing the scope from the tripod when walking between viewing spots for fear of the 2 detaching
Yes, I had an accident while trying to sqeeze past a fence and the quick release lever let go and Smash! there went my scope onto pavement. The plate was always coming loose too. Now I have an Arca-Swiss style quick release from Really Right Stuff and love it. No more worries.

Kevin Mac said:
Yes, I had an accident while trying to sqeeze past a fence and the quick release lever let go and Smash! there went my scope onto pavement. The plate was always coming loose too. Now I have an Arca-Swiss style quick release from Really Right Stuff and love it. No more worries.
I've not heard of the Arca-Swiss style quick release-is it any more secure and less likely to catch & release than the Manfrotto? Also does it make the base plate more secure?

Kevin, what head are you using???

Mark, IMO the Arca-Swiss system is fantastic. It (or a clone) is what the majority of photographers use on ballheads. Some photogs use an AS B-1 to support a 14lb 600mm lens w/camera combo. The plates used to be made to slide all the way through the clamp if it was loose (a probable disaster). Nowadays you can buy plates that have stops on both ends to prevent this. RRS also sells a replacement tightening know for the clamp which prevents accidental loosening.

What I wish for is a Bogen 701 rc2 with an AS style plate/clamp.

Lindsay Cargill said:
Hi Paul,

I have and use a Slik D3 and also use a Nat3 55 with 128RC head. The Manfrotto is a better 'pod in my opinion but is significantly heavier than the D3. The main thing I dont like about the Slik is the scope attachment - there is no locking plate and you constantly need to keep unscrewing the scope from the head. With the 055 you get a QR plate and can even get housings for specific makes of scope such as Apo 77.

Lindsay

I've had a Slik Master D2 (the D3s predecessor) for 18 years. It's a good tripod, but I find the lack of a quick release facility a drawback. This was solved by the addition of the Cullmann Quicksetter Quick Release System http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=1300. Its a neat little device that converts a non-quick release tripod head.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back