• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel to Bemanevika (Madagascar red owl etc) (1 Viewer)

iain tomlinson

Hello, this September I am visiting Bemanevika reserve in search of Madagascar red owl. If you have made the journey I would love to hear from you. Especially if by public transport.

From Bealanana is the reserve obvious/well known or sign posted? Could I rent a pick up or bush taxi to get down that road?

And from Tana to Bealanana, what's the fastest way on public transport?

Many thanks Iain

It's a few years since I visited, and we had a 4WD with local driver, so didn't look into public transport, so I don't know how helpful this is, but...

I expect you should be able to get to Bealanana by easily enough by bus / minibus from Antsohihy (pronounced "Ontswee"). From Bealanana, I seem to recall that there was an occasional (i.e. not daily) tractor that provides transport to Bemanevika village. I doubt there are any signs, but you should be able to ask around in Bealanana and find somebody who can help.

The track to Bemanevika village is (or at least, was) absolutely terrible and if you are on your own, your best bet would probably be to try to hire somebody to take you there on the back of a motorbike.

If the Peregrine Fund project is still running, you really ought to try to get in touch with them, as their staff knew where the Red Owls roosted... finding one on your own might be rather difficult!

Your best bet is hiring a motorbike plus driver in Bealanana to take you over and bring you back. It's a bone-crunching 37 kilometers according to bike I was on, driven by the mayor! Only fell off twice... I second Duncans's advice about getting in touch with whoever is running the different projects there--for the harrier, pochard, owl and serpent-eagle...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back