• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple steps for cleaning an old pair of binoculars? (1 Viewer)

lofapco

Just wondering how far I can go if I decide to "detail" clean my old pair of Japanese Canon 7x35 porros. I am new to this hobby and while I see no issues with fog, fungi, mold or anything all I have done to clean up this old pair of binoculars is clean the glass with cleaner and a soft cloth. Is there anything someone would recommend as a guide as to how to properly clean an old set of vintage binos? I see I could screw off the parts on the large end and have tightened all screws but nothing more at this point. Any suggestions as how to lubricate or properly clean things would be appreciated.

I'd be careful of unscrewing the objectives retaining rings and removing the lenses as without knowing if they use eccentric rings you could upset the collimation and then have a bit of messing about to align them again. The beauty rings may well unscrew if you're wanting to refresh the paint finish on them.

A full strip-down and clean could result in the same, getting the prisms correctly placed etc tho you may be able to remove the central hinge screw and the eyepieces/arms to clean the inner face of those. You could then remove the focuser long screw in the hinge and clean and re-grease if it really needs that.

Question is do you have the required tools - small jewellers screwdriver for the tiny set-screws, large wide flat-blade for the hinge screw etc. I'd say if there's no internal issues, leave alone, clean the outer surfaces if they need it, expose to UV for an hour or so to cull any fungus that might want to develop and just enjoy them.

I'd be careful of unscrewing the objectives retaining rings and removing the lenses as without knowing if they use eccentric rings you could upset the collimation and then have a bit of messing about to align them again. The beauty rings may well unscrew if you're wanting to refresh the paint finish on them.

A full strip-down and clean could result in the same, getting the prisms correctly placed etc tho you may be able to remove the central hinge screw and the eyepieces/arms to clean the inner face of those. You could then remove the focuser long screw in the hinge and clean and re-grease if it really needs that.

Question is do you have the required tools - small jewellers screwdriver for the tiny set-screws, large wide flat-blade for the hinge screw etc. I'd say if there's no internal issues, leave alone, clean the outer surfaces if they need it, expose to UV for an hour or so to cull any fungus that might want to develop and just enjoy them.

Likely good advice! While I am quite decent at restoration and adjustments to both electric and acoustic guitars and related electronics for cleaning and replacement, I have never tinkered with a vintage pair of Binoculars. I got these recently and actually have no issues with them. I see no hairs, fungi or anything when looking either way through the lenses. Everything is clean as a whistle inside as far as I can tell. When I do the collimation test by holding it out a foot from my eyes, everything seems perfectly lined up especially when using a tripod. (That is the only way I could move a foot and stay lined up! I have cleaned the exterior to where I am happy with the look. I think I will leave things alone and just enjoy the view! Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back