• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo or Manfrotto (1 Viewer)

cthomas

After two and maybe a third back operation I'm looking for a good light (Carbon Fiber) tripod. Any suggestions

Right now I have a Manfrotto/Bogen 3221 GN3 tripod, and I usually use a Acratech Ultimate ballhead and the Wimberley Sidekick with the ball head.

My set up is a Swarovski ATS 80 HD with a Coolpix 4300 which I don't like for digiscoping. I sort of like the Sidekick with the ball head.

Yes I have used this tripod for my ATS 80 since the summer. I pretty much love it, except for the price and getting my fingers to remember which way to turn the leg locking rings.

I was lucky to find a used one on ebay which saved me about $150. And I find that if I can condition myself to have the tripod in the same postion everytime I tighten or loosen the locks it helps my fingers to remember.

The Gitzo series generally run something like 10xx, 11xx, 12xx, 13xx, 15xx. Tripod leg diameter increases as you go up in the 1st 2 digits. In addition the carbon fiber series is referred to as the "Mountaineer".

Tripods within each series can otherwise vary in a number of ways such as number of leg sections, type of column etc. Some BF folks prefer the G1228 becasue with its 4 leg sections its collapsed length is shorter, however this means 3 more locks to deal with and extra joints that can reduce stability somewhat.

I have owned the Bogen 3001, 3011, 3221, 3246, Gitzo 1227 and Gitzo1325. The 1227 is the best one of these for scopes, The 1227 beats all of the Bogens for stability. The 1325 is better than the 1227, but somewhat heavier and bulkier.

Scope shake has always been a big issue for me. I have seen too many birders with a $1,000 scope and a crappy tripod which totallly negates the better view that they paid for. So far the 1227 is the best I have seen when size, wt and stability are considered. It still gets some wind shake, but it takes alot more wind to do so, and the magnitude of movement is aot less. Laying an arm along the scope has resulted in acceptable viewing for me, even in fairly strong winds.

One thing I would like to see is a 2 section CF tripod, but I doubt that is going to happen.

I also vote for the Gitzo 1227. Have used it for several years. Sturdy and light.

Photographers prrefer the 1227 over the 1228 when using telephoto lenses because of stability of the 1227.

I've had no problems with the screw lock legs. Although they are not quite as fast to extend as my Bogen 3211.

The gitzo with the Bogen 3130 head and my Swarovski ATS80 HD weighs essentially the same as my Bogen 3211 tripod, with 3130 head and Nikon Fieldscope III ED 60 mm obj.

I've gone right off my Gitzo 1227 as two of the twist action leg grips are stuck solid. A shame, as this is a fine tripod in many ways. I would be very reluctant to buy a tripod with twist grips again.

Anyone know what Gitzo UK aftersales service is like? Haven't had time to find out yet.

Sean

I see the 1227 comes with an aluminum geared column or with out it. It looks like the crank might stick out in the way.

cthomas said:
I see the 1227 comes with an aluminum geared column or with out it. It looks like the crank might stick out in the way.

Gitzo tripods are superbly made and are very stable. For use with a scope, however, I would check to see whether I could tolerate the screw-lock leg extension controls. Some people simply can't stand them, as using them is a bit slower than flip-lock legs.

Doug Greenberg said:
Gitzo tripods are superbly made and are very stable. For use with a scope, however, I would check to see whether I could tolerate the screw-lock leg extension controls. Some people simply can't stand them, as using them is a bit slower than flip-lock legs.

The screw-lock leg extension controls is a concern because I like flip-lock on my Manfrotto. On of the disadvantages of living in the middle of no where :) is I have to order everything. So I can't go to a shop and try it out first.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back